What method to store root veggies w/o a root cellar?

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:/ I am wondering how I can store my sweet taters, cabbage , taters and such without a root cellar or basement? I had wonder if burying a metal trash can with straw bales making a cover over the top and leaving a covered access would work?? Someone had told me of a guy that had an old chest type deep freezer that he had partially buried and surronded with straw bales. At the present time we live in a moble home and are in the process of preparing the area to begin the building of our Straw bale home, we have plans to include a partial basement. but this will be in a couple of years.

Any and all suggestions would be of Great Help :caf

:frow Thanks so much in advance :clap

:happy_flower Karan :D

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! Cool, a straw bale home. I have been looking into those too. The house we build is going to be as self sufficient and eco friendly as possible too.

Ok, I was asking a gardening friend the same question. We have a partial basement with a dirt floor. He said to just dig down into our dirt floor. I really want one that is not in my scarey "Blair Witch" basement, so I plan on digging one into a little knoll we have. I am courious about your idea with a trashcan. I see root cellars everywhere here, they look like cute dog houses, but they are deep into the ground. How deep is deep enough?

GOOD QUESTION! I'm glad you asked...have you tried sufficientself.com ?

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Big Brown Horse, no I haven't looked on sufficientself.com for a while, I guess I really need to log back in there sometime. When I have time :gig :th

yes we are excited about our Straw bale house plans and finally after 9 years of decussing it, we are acting on it :woot

:happy_flower Karan :D

Latest posts