What should I do with RHUBARB? Any good recipes out there?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm new to Western Washington, we moved here from Houston, TX.

Recently we noticed red celery-lookin stuff growing right up from the grass. "Don't touch it!! Atleast not until we learn what it is!" (We are such Texans, we are used to everything jumping out to bite, sting or poison us!)

Yeah, O.K. now I understand it is just rhubarb. Well, of course I don't want to waste it...:p

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
big brown horse said:

Recently we noticed red celery-lookin stuff growing right up from the grass. "Don't touch it!! Atleast not until we learn what it is!" (We are such Texans, we are used to everything jumping out to bite, sting or poison us!)

Yeah, O.K. now I understand it is just rhubarb. Well, of course I don't want to waste it...:p

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Rhubarb is BAD, YECH, ICKY POO, GROSS!!!! It actually CAN bite, sting or poison you so just because I want to save you, cause I really like you, I think you should package it up-roots and all and send it farmerlor, middle of nowhere Colorado and I will dispose of it for you.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First, make sure it *is* rhubarb, not something else e.g. burdock which can be a fooler but is just an obnoxious weed. (Theoretically the root is edible. I've tried it, several recipes. You'd have to be *real* hungry :p)

Then, remember only the leafstalks are edible, NOT THE LEAVES nor any other part of the plants.

I don't have a chance to dig out and type in recipes right now (google or allrecipes.com should help you out), but my favorite things to do with rhubarb are pie (with or without strawberries added), cobbler, and the ginger-rhubarb jam recipe from Small Batch Preserving.

Have fun,

Pat

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
big brown horse said:

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Rhubarb is BAD, YECH, ICKY POO, GROSS!!!! It actually CAN bite, sting or poison you so just because I want to save you, cause I really like you, I think you should package it up-roots and all and send it farmerlor, middle of nowhere Colorado and I will dispose of it for you.
Come onnn, Really? LOL!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
First, make sure it *is* rhubarb, not something else e.g. burdock which can be a fooler but is just an obnoxious weed. (Theoretically the root is edible. I've tried it, several recipes. You'd have to be *real* hungry :p)

Then, remember only the leafstalks are edible, NOT THE LEAVES nor any other part of the plants.

I don't have a chance to dig out and type in recipes right now (google or allrecipes.com should help you out), but my favorite things to do with rhubarb are pie (with or without strawberries added), cobbler, and the ginger-rhubarb jam recipe from Small Batch Preserving.

Have fun,

Pat
Thanks Pat,

I will double check right now. But it seems to be growing out of my lawn but under the subtle layer of grass there is like a wide stemmy root (Do you like my technical term? :D) it looks like maybe a tree had been cut down below the surface. I am going outside right now to look again.

I am glad to have your opinion!

-BBH

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
O.k. just got back. I have 3-4 groupings of these red stalked big fluffy green leafed things. (One leaf off of each stalk.) Not all of it seems to be growing from the mysterious underground stump.

I thought it was certainly rhubarb because the previous owners of our land were major farmers. (It is the reason why we were attracted to this property.) It is the only thing that hasn't been marked AND it is just growing under the apple trees out of the grass. So Pat, thank you for potentially saving my life :D! Eating burdock doesn't sound like fun at all!!!

Keep you posted. In the mean time I am still open to any recipes just in case it IS in fact rhubarb.

Thank you all!!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
Follow up question, what does Rhubarb taste like?
O.K. I am originally from Wisconsin but was moved (kicking and screaming) to Texas before I turned 5, so I have eaten rhubarb. It tastes tart, like sour apples but with a celery texture. I think it is often mixed with a sweeter fruit like strawberries because it can be quite tart.

(I am obviously not an expert on this because I haven't had it in over 20 years, so if anyone out there wants to help a sister out on explaining this by all means do.)

I just remember how much I loved it baked in a pie. :D

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rhubarb is very tart. I don't like it just by itself, but my weirdo husband loves it right off the plant. I use it to extend other fruit in recipes and to add some extra tang (as well as vitamin C) to recipes. Strawberry/rhubarb pie, apple crisp with rhubarb, etc...

Another think you can do is make this...
Easy Stewed Rhubarb

Ingredients:

6 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp water
Procedure:

In large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally for about 15 min or until slightly thickened and rhubarb is in threads. Let cool. Can be refrigerated up to 5 days. Makes 3 cups; per 1/2 cup: 155 calories, 1 g protein, negligible fat, 38 g carbs.

Sounds a little gross, but when you let it cool, it tastes a bit like apple sauce.

If you have to avoid sugar like me, just substitute erythritol for sugar. if it isn't quite sweet enough, add a bit of splenda or stevia.

Latest posts