What should I grow in a topsy turvy strawberry planter?

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Seems to me that would be a great way to isolate invasive plants such as peppermint, oregano, chives. I wouldn't expect them to overwinter in that as it would probably freeze out the root system if left outdoors. You could hang it indoors and harvest fresh herbs all year long.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So far I am thinking cilantro and ground cherry. I should get a few more before they disappear. They are sturdier than I thought they would be.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The store is called Bargain Mart. It is one of those stores that buys nearly expired stuff and store "leftovers". I went up there looking for whole bean coffee, but they didn't have any this time. I did score on those strawberry pots and got big bottles of balsamic vinegar for 50 each. Also got some tea. The box was crushed but the tea was fine. I like paying $1 more than $3.98 for my tea :D

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought 2 tomato "Topsy Turvy" planters end-of-season for $2 a piece. I tried growing tomatoes in buckets last year and it didn't work. I figured that I would try a small cherry tomato this year and a pepper. Now I have 2 buckets with big holes in the bottom that I need to plant something in. May be an egg plant.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
I bought 2 tomato "Topsy Turvy" planters end-of-season for $2 a piece. I tried growing tomatoes in buckets last year and it didn't work. I figured that I would try a small cherry tomato this year and a pepper. Now I have 2 buckets with big holes in the bottom that I need to plant something in. May be an egg plant.
Some tomatoes do better in buckets than others. I find the small cherries do great in a bucket, while the larger things like early girl don't like the restriction.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted two plum tomatoes. They looked pitiful and made fruit, but they fruit rotted. I was losing a lot of water through the hole I made in the bottom. I am going to use water retaining crystals in my soil mix for the topsy turvy's and put my buckets on the ground and plant right side up. I might do a few cherry tomatoes and a few eggplants since I have a few buckets with holes in them (smaller drainage holes). :D I'll try and try again. Sometimes I never learn. :p

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

Latest posts