What Should We Use In Raised Beds (Lasagna, compost???)

trion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have the frames set up and need some advice on what to fill them with. I have been reading a little bit about lasagna gardening but everything I read says to start in the fall filling them with layers of newspaper, leaves, compost etc.

We could go buy some soil, I have a big old manure pile we turn periodically, just started removing leaves around the house from the fall so have a bunch of those. My husband has been talking about a layer of newspaper and a layer of composted manure and then some more dirt on top.

Thanks for any advice! :)

COYOTEMAGIC

Sprout
Reaction score
Newspaper will stop weeds from popping up from underneath. They will also hold moisture.

Newspaper, leaves, compost then a layer of topsoil will make a great planting bed

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
COYOTEMAGIC said:
Newspaper will stop weeds from popping up from underneath. They will also hold moisture.

Newspaper, leaves, compost then a layer of topsoil will make a great planting bed
Newspaper is recommend, also corrugated cardboard can be used. It needs to be b/w print, no colored paper or anything with a waxy coating. Whatever you have available. I think it is supposted to be stack alittle also.

1. Newsprint (add water)
2. Peat moss
3. Organic material
4. Peat Moss
5. Organic material
6. Plant and mulch.

Make sure to water well (not swampy but hydrate all the materials you are using) because the beauty of this type of garden is that it holds moisture.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would not add the topsoil unless you really like your topsoil for planting in. As time goes by as your beds decompose they may tend to take the nature of the soil you add to them due to the microorganisms the soil has. I learned this the hard way while gardening in texas with their foul hard soil

I am making my first lasagna beds this spring. My neighbor is on her second year and i looked at her beds yesterday and they were rich and loose. Sprouts of spinach left over from last year coming up but nothing else. She has her beds covered with plastic and when we pulled it back things were steaming.

This is how she did it.

first layer.... cardboard or thick layers of newpaper
thin layer of dried leaves
some maneur and household scraps
a little bit of soil
a layer of green alfalfa or what ever green you can find including lawn clippings... split the bails up and lay down sections 2 to 3 inches thick
Repeat all of the above for your next layer
except I wouldnt use cardboard this time and make my newpaper not quite so thick
so plants can bust though it easier. Besure to wet down the paper products well before putting on the next layer
2 layers should do itl
for on top she purchased some organic planting mix and put down 2 to 3 inches which she planted in.

after her crops last fall she thew some more stuff on and covers with layers of staw. Its been cooking up real nice.

What layers of staw remain this spring she is thinking that she will pull off so she can plant in the nice stuff under them. She will throw them in her compost pile or maybe layer them on the bed at the end of the season... we are wondering why a compost pile at all now

Latest posts