What the heck are these and how do I get rid of them?

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have two types of weeds I've been battling in my garden area. I think one of them is some sort of violet? Not sure what the others are. Can you help me figure out what they really are and how to get rid of 'em?

kthanks!
H

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes, first one is vinca minor. I have it in the variegated form and love it! I guess to one man it's a flower, to another a weed. :rolleyes:

Mary
Lol it's not terrible, but there's a lot of it. How do I get rid of some of it and contain the rest?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, HJSullivan :frow.

I think your second plant might be feverfew.

How does a crushed leaf smell?

As you can know from that name, and the struggle I'm having with autocorrect on typing it ;), feverfew is an oldtime herbal medicine. If it really stinky, that might be what it is. Like many of these "medicines," the patients were probably afraid to stay sick and risk getting a second dose.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The first is vinca, and I say keep it. It fills in slowly and doesn't like ANY full sun.

The second looks very much like the leaves on a Columbine.

If you have a University Extension Office nearby, take a sample in and they can tell you.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think ducks may have it right. The second pic looks like columbine starts to me, too. And I think I did see some wild violet in the first pic, in the lower right corner. I read that violets grow where the soil is acid. They are going crazy in my lawn right now. variegated and dark purple ones. They are lovely with the dandelions, lol.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts