What to grow that chickens won't eat? Any chicken proof plants?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have several that love grass but they really do not keep it down in their run. I do free range and they eat grass everwhere else and my hubby has to weed eat in there because they never touch it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Chickens have the brain capacity of a button. But I do love mine. They do not eat onions but will pull them up. They do not eat oregano but keep tearing mine up. It didn't do well last year and I dug it up and place it in a container. They have dump the container and ripped it out of the container 4 X's. I now have it on the top shelf on my green house.

If you want to have a nice garden you either have to fence the plants or the chickens. I fence my garden, but they do come in when I weed and help red up any extra bugs that may be hanging around. Then I run them out when I leave.
Don't put down the intelligence of chickens too quickly. Actually they are very fast learners, but ONLY if what they are learning is important too chickens.
In Oklahoma I often cooked outside to avoid heating up the house in Summer. It took the chickens about 15 minutes to figure out that although they couldn't eat the bacon that was sizzling in the pan they COULD grab it quickly and throw it into a bush to cool off.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
HunkieDorie23 said:
Chickens have the brain capacity of a button. But I do love mine. They do not eat onions but will pull them up. They do not eat oregano but keep tearing mine up. It didn't do well last year and I dug it up and place it in a container. They have dump the container and ripped it out of the container 4 X's. I now have it on the top shelf on my green house.

If you want to have a nice garden you either have to fence the plants or the chickens. I fence my garden, but they do come in when I weed and help red up any extra bugs that may be hanging around. Then I run them out when I leave.
Don't put down the intelligence of chickens too quickly. Actually they are very fast learners, but ONLY if what they are learning is important too chickens.
In Oklahoma I often cooked outside to avoid heating up the house in Summer. It took the chickens about 15 minutes to figure out that although they couldn't eat the bacon that was sizzling in the pan they COULD grab it quickly and throw it into a bush to cool off.
:gig my hubby gets so MAD when he's outside trying to BBQ and gets surounded by starving chickens! :gig

Latest posts