What to make with little green granny smith apples.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I culled my granny smith apple trees today, removing some of the smaller (approx 2") apples to allow the remaining apples to grow bigger.

Now I have a big bowl of sour little green apples.

Thoughts on what I can make with these if anything?

I know applesauce is out, because they don't even recommend mature granny smiths for applesauce.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beavis said:
I culled my granny smith apple trees today, removing some of the smaller (approx 2") apples to allow the remaining apples to grow bigger.

Now I have a big bowl of sour little green apples.

Thoughts on what I can make with these if anything?

I know applesauce is out, because they don't even recommend mature granny smiths for applesauce.
:frow

I would make my own pectin, apple jelly (preferably flavoured with rosemary) or cider apple vinegar.

Have a great time preserving..... :D

:) Hattie :)

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Contrary to what "they" say, Granny Smiths make really good apple sauce and even better apple butter...but then I'm the kid who likes things a little tart!

If you can stand the tediousness of it (and have the time) they would make a scrumptious cobbler.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it were me I would boil 'em up to can some jars of pectin, to mix 50/50 with some other fresh fruit at some other time to make jam.

There are recipes on this site and/or SufficientSelf.com, use 'search' on 'homemade pectin' or something like that, or if you want i can type it in if you can't find it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I pulled off the blemished fruit on my apple tree. The branches were loaded and I didn't want them to snap. I cut out the bad spots and then sliced the apples in to pieces. I soaked them in lime juice, cinnamon and sweetener and now the apple nuggets are outside drying.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
How many apples do you have? Green Apple Mead might be nice . . .

Whitewater (especially if people like it dry and tart . . . )

Latest posts