What to plant for a family of four....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
At first glance this seems like a lot but if I break it down to a per person instead of for four, most seem reasonable. For short lived crops that don't store well like radishes and lettuce that is more than I would plant at one time, but considering sequential plantings over a season it is not that bad.

Do you know what criteria this is based on? Fresh eating only or fresh eating plus preserving? I tried going through the site a bit but did not find that. I'd think it has to have some preserving in it plus staggered planting and harvest for some. How could four people eat all the tomatoes off of 15 plants if they can only eat them fresh?

I already know how much of everything I'll plant but it does look like a good resource, especially for someone just getting started. It is only a general guideline and needs to be adjusted to your situation, not only how you use it but varieties as well. One head of Golden Cross cabbage does not equal one head of Copenhagen, but Golden Cross is a good size for fresh eating while a few of heads of Copenhagen makes a lot of saurkraut or freezer cole slaw, at least in my garden.

Thanks. Good information.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wondered about the criteria, myself.....as some people eat more than others. Only thing I could come up with, that they might have used USDA suggested recommendations on vitamin, mineral, and calorie daily intakes.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GrowsLotsaPeppers said:
At least half the fun of tomatoes is giving away some that taste WAY BETTER than what you get at the local grocer...:D
Hahahahaha..yea. Even better than that....invite them in for a tomato sandwich and watch their expression.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
most of them see reasonable but I plant many more tomatoes and pepper plants than they think.

On a good day, 3 of us might use 6-8 peppers per day. Don't get me started on jalepeno's for salsa, which goes fast.

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm just thinking this is a good start for a general idea, but definately not perfect and could be misleading to a beginner.

1. Not many people eat all those varieties.

2. For corn, you need atleast 4 rows of plants for good pollination and it says 140 ft row but 210 seeds spaced 8" to 12". Not everyone has that much space not just for corn but total spacing requirements. For example, my garden is 30'x60' and I use many different ways to squeeze as much as possible out of it. Like succession, intensive, and companion/inter-planting with barely enough room to walk thru.

3. Cucumbers say 3 plants for 4 people-which is probably more than enough for slicing cukes, but NOT enough for many pickles.

4. Squash I didn't think included enough for the different varieties available. We like alot of different squashes, both summer & winter types.

5. The list didn't even include melons at all.

6. I agree about the 15 tomato plants...that's alot of maters for eating, preserving and giving. But harvests could differ depending on variety grown. Some are more prolific than others.

Ed Hume is a seed supplier around here. The farm is within 10 miles of us here, but I don't know if they grow all their seed or buy alot from other sources. He used to have a weekly gardening tv program, but I think he has gotten too old now and the company still uses his name.
I am curious to know if his seeds are sold across the country or only in Western Washington???

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I'm just thinking this is a good start for a general idea, but definately not perfect and could be misleading to a beginner.

1. Not many people eat all those varieties.

2. For corn, you need atleast 4 rows of plants for good pollination and it says 140 ft row but 210 seeds spaced 8" to 12". Not everyone has that much space not just for corn but total spacing requirements. For example, my garden is 30'x60' and I use many different ways to squeeze as much as possible out of it. Like succession, intensive, and companion/inter-planting with barely enough room to walk thru.

3. Cucumbers say 3 plants for 4 people-which is probably more than enough for slicing cukes, but NOT enough for many pickles.

4. Squash I didn't think included enough for the different varieties available. We like alot of different squashes, both summer & winter types.

5. The list didn't even include melons at all.

6. I agree about the 15 tomato plants...that's alot of maters for eating, preserving and giving. But harvests could differ depending on variety grown. Some are more prolific than others.

Ed Hume is a seed supplier around here. The farm is within 10 miles of us here, but I don't know if they grow all their seed or buy alot from other sources. He used to have a weekly gardening tv program, but I think he has gotten too old now and the company still uses his name.
I am curious to know if his seeds are sold across the country or only in Western Washington???
Yea...I figure you'd have to customize it to what your family likes and eats, and how much....but a good starting point, nonetheless.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
. . . I am curious to know if his seeds are sold across the country or only in Western Washington???
Well, Ed Hume seeds are sold in Eastern Washington . . . :p.

Lots of his seeds are hybrids. The parent lines are owned by the large seed companies.

Therefore, I imagine that Ed Hume (like so many other seed companies) just buys, packages and resells those seeds. Probably this is true with many of the open-pollinated varieties as well.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess this is taken at the perspective that is you grow any of these plants you'll eat them daily? The aparagus alone blows my mind. 8 plants per person?!

Latest posts