What to plant on a shady porch in planters

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have several baskets and planters. I want to add some color to my back porch which is covered (has a roof). I know ferns will grow, but what flowers will do well in shade in a pot?

This picture is from last year on my back porch where I harden off my seedlings. It does get a few hours of sun on the railings.

6832_tylerbday_006.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Coleus, impatiens (partial shade), tuberous begonias, lilly-of-the-valley all grow well in the shade. Look for indigenous forest flowers. So many of them are very small and perfect for a planter. I'm putting one of my inside geraniums in a somewhat shady corner this year right north of my farmhouse's back door, so that could work, too. Right now I have 3 flowering in my upstairs north-facing windows.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
I have several baskets and planters. I want to add some color to my back porch which is covered (has a roof). I know ferns will grow, but what flowers will do well in shade in a pot?

This picture is from last year on my back porch where I harden off my seedlings. It does get a few hours of sun on the railings.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6832_tylerbday_006.jpg
Try nasturtiums and alyssum. They grow anywhere. Both are cheap seeds and come in all kinds of colors and forms.

Indyanna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
For a delicate looking flower I have done well with Torenia (Wishbone) - much like impatients they are low maintenance.