What type of garlic???

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am looking at putting in a garlic bed this fall. I have been reading a lot so I think I can do it. But what I am not sure of is what type I should try? I want garlic I can store so I need some soft neck, I live in Ohio so Hard neck would be more hardy and I can use it first. But when I try to look at the garlic I have no idea what I am looking at.

Spanish roja or something seems to be very available.

Where do you get your garlic, and what type do you grow?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check out High Mowing Seeds. They are out of Vermont and their seeds and garlic are wonderful! They have descriptions of their plants that will help you decide. You are a bit warmer than I am-but I am having good luck with hard neck and am still eating it, from last years harvest. The best part about planting garlic, is that when spring comes and nothing much is growing- you will see your garlic up a good 4 inches!! I don't even like the taste of "store bought" garlic anymore... Good luck and Happy Gardening!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you can get something locally-grown, plant THAT. It is likely to do very well in your soil and climate.

If you have to order from a catalog, I'd suggest just picking one or more types of hardneck that suit your fancy, plus a softneck.

I have not tried an exceptionally wide range of garlic varieties, but I very much like Music (boringly commercially-popular hardneck cultivar) for its VERY EXCELLENT depth of flavor and large cloves, but it doesn't store real well (pickles good, though!); I grow mainly Siberian Red as a longer-keeping hardneck. I still have a good bit of last year's crop of it left in my kitchen (lousy storage conditions); the cloves are only barely beginning to sprout internally, which ain't bad for a hardneck in May :p I also grow some softneck but honestly I do not remember where it came from, I *think* it's from the farmer's market but could be from supermarket :p

Just try some stuff, and whatever you don't care for so much, replace with another variety next year :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, thanks, I have seen music garlic but like I said I had no idea what to look for. I read in my organic gardening book about planting a perinnial garlic bed. The is a gardener in WA that has had the same garlic bed for 20 years without planting or plowing. This is my goal.

Thanks for the help.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use peaceful valley at groworganic.com I chose elephant garlic (I know, its actually a leek).... but they had very inexpensive and tons of options so if you know what you want you can get a good deal. :D

I am going to harvest my garlic in about a week or 2. SOOOOO exciting. ;)

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll be buying some type of Russian Garlic this fall from one of the fellow growers at our Farmer's Market. I absolutely love when I can buy something that grows well locally for sure!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WOW, I found some garlic growers at http://wegrowgarlic.com/7422.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val* , and they have over 100 varieties of garlic to choose from, with pictures and everything. They have great tips on how to grow garlic and how to soak your bulbs before you plant them to help prevent disease and pest problems. I e-mailed Karen about getting on their list.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't see why you would soak garlic bulbs.... I have never had a pest or disease come anywhere near my garlic. I plant the cloves right in the ground- no problem....Keep us posted!

Lavender44

Leafing Out
Reaction score
There is a ton of great information on this page, thanks everyone. I personally love the spanish roja and I would go with that!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The ones at the grocery store in San Diego probably came from Gilroy, the garlic capital of America. Gilroy is close to me so I hope they are the right variety for a SoCal garden.

Latest posts