What type of trellis for cucumbers?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted my cucumbers near the fence line, in hopes that they would grow up it. Some of them are, but I want something else for the other-side that now houses other plants and they are starting to wrap around.

What do you use? A stick or something shaped like an "A"? I'm just not sure what could work...Thanks for any advice :happy_flower

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have mine growing up and through cages... but they have outgrown their cages and are now growing up bamboo poles too!!!!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used the small tomato cages for mine. they definitely over grew it and strangled anything they could get their hands on. Like Tomatoes, corn, peppers. I like how they grew on the corn.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put straw on the ground and just let them sprawl, seems like I get more this way, however, I let some tall weeds get ahead of me when I was not feeling well(not this year) and loved the straight easier to pick cukes that I found hanging on that weed.. I am probably crazy to let them stay on the ground, all that bending and picking, but guess I am a creature of habit, or maybe just an old creature.:duc

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a neighbor who was a very fine gardener.

He would lay a length of cattle fencing on the ground and bend it, lengthwise, at a 90 angle. The fence section then had that "A-shape" you mentioned and because the wire was so heavy, it didn't need any posts for support.

The cucumber vines only had a little way to climb - up and over. I remember looking at his garden and being curious why his cucumbers seemed to be growing over something. He had a mulch under this trellis to keep the weeds from growing through it.

He seemed to like the set-up.

Steve

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have made bamboo teepees and have strung string around them. I planted my cucumbers late so they are just beginning to start up them. I will probably plant them earlier next year. I was waiting for the English Peas to get done so I could use the same teepees.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
All this talk of bamboo, has me feelin' extra eco-friendly ;) I'm going to search for some tomorrow and hope to make an "A" frame type of structure.

I went out there this early evening and their "fingers" were starting to wrap around my sensitive eggplants...hmmm...I better get building! Well, at least dh better start building :lol:

Thanks for all of the responses!

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have some "found" lattice panels. They work great. I just have to get them started on the crawl and then they take over.

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have tried a few different methods.

This one is an "A" type design. It worked, but wasn't nearly big enough. I made it from some wood I had. It is hinged at the top, so you can spread it apart as far as needed.

5917_garden2_007.jpg
[/img]

5917_garden2_012.jpg
[/img]

This is how I did it last year and again this year. It is just 3 fence posts and a section of 3' Tall fence. Sorry the picture is a bit blury. We had more cukes than we knew what to do with last year. I cut back a little this year.

5917_garden_054.jpg
[/img]

Latest posts