What would be Good Advice?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you wonder about sharing information with young gardeners? Or, people who are thinking about starting to garden ... but, you don't really know what would be important for them to know.

In a few minutes I will be out in the greenhouse checking on water needs. It will mostly be done with knowing the weight of a "dry" flat. I also like to allow the soil surface to dry a little since it seems to lower the risk of "damping off" problems. But, the process will mostly be done by feeling the weight.

Once, I thought to actually put a flat of fully moist soil on a scale and then weighing one I felt required some time in water. Giving water weight loss information. Would that be helpful?

I still have a few seedlings in their community containers in need of being moved into pony packs. I do this mantra: Some leaves, one stem, many roots. Mostly, I'm telling myself to keep my digitS' off the stems! I can't risk damaging them. The roots may be torn in the process. I try to hold only the seed leaves. Is that obvious information or would sharing it be helpful?

The work on the fence has been time-consuming, tedious, rather hard work - with all the scraping and wire brushing. I go from that to tedious, hard work in the garden. Planting onion seedlings is tedious. Prepping the ground before that is rather hard work. I think of the work in stages - I know lots of people do this. I prepare the soil on one side of the bed, work to the end. You are done with that part. You have reached far enough across the bed to leave only about 1 foot to prep on the other side. Good for you! I do lots of things like that. One step at a time. My work hours are full of accomplishments! Well, it may be also true that I have some problems actually 100%, finishing things. But, I make progress and try to stay on schedule. Would those general work guidelines be helpful?

@Nyboy recently had a "bad advice" thread. This is the opposite, I suppose.

Steve

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always hold seedlings by the leaves too when transplanting.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Knowing when and how to water seedlings would be great advice.

Keeping a journal of sorts too. It's always more illuminating to read what you did, what the weather was like, what you planted, etc. than to try and rely on memory. Those mistakes I made last year might not be repeated this year if I made a note of them.
Of course I rarely follow my advice.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I would remind people to consider whether the vegetables are "cool season" or "warm season" before they plant them. Just because you can buy a pepper plant in March in Missouri doesn't mean it wants to go in the garden then.
And I second baymule's advice to start small.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Starting small is good.

Anyone can scatter seeds from here to the horizon but can the later work be done? For some of us, it's can I do a good enough job keeping it watered? Everyone (except @ninnymary ;)) will have to face the weeds trying to steal the water, nutrients and sunlight.

Potential is what beginning gardeners have to experience. Potential to do one part of gardening doesn't mean an equal potential to be able to do all parts. And, that includes harvest.

I walked by some pepper plants at the garden center today and commented to DW, "I wonder if those things are happy out here?" 58ºF with 25mph wind gusts, midday ~

Journals are good, even if it is just for a couple of seasons. I looked back regularly and tried to add "corrections" for several more years, even when I wasn't really keeping track of activities any longer.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think learning about soil building would be beneficial for a beginner gardener. It took me awhile to figure out what it takes to make fertile soil.and now I am starting with virgin ground again, this time I have more experience with it than I did the first time.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always write down when and what is producing on the calendar but I wish I would throw the pages away that way I could look back and see when things grow best and how much certain things produce.

I also wish I would mark what the plants are instead of depending on my memory. Is this a Delicious or Arkansas Traveler tomato?

Latest posts