What Would You Do ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have a big mouth client I don't really like. They brag talking like there multi millionaire. He has 4 dogs. Last June he gave me a business check for $275 it bounced twice. 3 times I sent copy of bounced check asking him to take care of it. Never heard back, never came back in. Whole year goes by he just called and made 2 week reservation for his dogs. He never mentioned bounce check, I didn't either. I have chalked it up as a lost both in money and client. His board bill is going to be almost $1,000. Would you mention old bonce check ? Old days I would have told him off for being a deadbeat today my checking account dangerous low I need every client.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least 1/2 up front. You are already out the last stay. Do not add another one! Might even ask for payment in cash or cashiers check!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
First of all I am not sympathic at all when it comes to bounced checks or no payment even if I need the money. I had a parent who gave me 3 bounced checks once. Each time she made good on it and even paid my bounced fee. After that I put her on a cash basis. The first 2 months she paid a couple days late because she hadn't had time to go to the ATM. Gave her a 30 notice. I have found out that the stress is not worth it.

Your client already has a history of not paying. If it was me, he would have to pay the entire amount in cash up front. Do NOT take his dogs in until he pays first!!! If business is slow, tell your clients that you are doing a 25% off promotional for new clients and to tell their friends.

Mary

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
at least half up front, in cash, plus full payment for previous bill.

you wouldn't be losing anything by turning them away IMO.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to revise my previous statement.

I would call him, remind him that he never paid for the last time and ask for ALL the money up front.

1. You don't like him.
2. He already ripped you off, any way you cut it, that is STEALING.
3. I hate a thief, enough that I hate him a LOT, just for you!
4. He is a big mouth butt head.
5. You don't like him, so why punish yourself.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Id watch your back on this because he could very easily start posting negative reviews of you places or make some really bad claims about what happened if you take him as a client again and you play hardball.

Even if he doesn't put the money up front or opts not to board this dogs there.

Just be careful regardless of what you do. I'm with the $ up front crowd however I'd also keep your eyes peeled for things like that too.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would bring the unpaid balance to his attention, the check that bounced did he personally sign it, or did someone else issue it, he may not be aware it hasn't been paid (being very generous here). It is not unreasonable to ask him for payment, especially if he wants to keep using your services. That's how a lot of people acquire their wealth, they don't pay their bills.
Stay calm, try your best to be pleasant but at the same time be assertive. If that doesn't work kick his A$$ out of there.
Annette

Latest posts