What's going on with my vege's!

Little Missy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted a little late, and I have raised gardens. I put a horse manure compost/filler into the bottom of my beds, and topped it with a cow manure based organic garden soil. Everything is pretty much thriving except my okra, eggplant and tomatoes. The leaves are curled, sorta like they got scorched, but they are not yellow they are green. I do have some tomatoes on one plant, but the other 7 have nothing. my cucumbers, and squash in the same bed are growing great, as are my pepper plants.

Anyone have an idea of what could do this, and what I can do to make it better??
Thanks in advance

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe a soil test is in order. Here in Arkansas we lime the garden in early spring and then use whatever fertilizer we have. You can burn up plants pretty easy. A steady watering is in order anytime the ground is dry. Poke your fingers down in the dirt to find out. Tomatoes do good with a epsom salts and calcium. The composted manure shouldn't burn the plants. The extension office may do a soil analysis for free or a low price.

Little Missy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Maybe a soil test is in order. Here in Arkansas we lime the garden in early spring and then use whatever fertilizer we have. You can burn up plants pretty easy. A steady watering is in order anytime the ground is dry. Poke your fingers down in the dirt to find out. Tomatoes do good with a epsom salts and calcium. The composted manure shouldn't burn the plants. The extension office may do a soil analysis for free or a low price.

I was actually thinking about adding epsom salts to see if it made a difference. I think i will try the extension office though...Thanks!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe just heat stress/uneven watering? It can be hard to keep the soil moisture consistent in raised beds. They dry out easier. Squash and cukes run their roots really deep and maybe are coping better. Try putting down a heavy layer of mulch (you could even use cardboard underneath) and water everything deeply once a week.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cardboard is a good mulch for several reasons.
1. Easily found.
2. No special tools to use it.
3. Doesn't cost anything.
4. Will decompose into the soil.
5. Earthworms really like it.
6. Good for keeping the ground cool in hot weather.
7. Holds in the moisture conserving water.
8. It will last most the season or sometimes the entire summer considering how thick it is.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cardboard is a good mulch for several reasons.
1. Easily found.
2. No special tools to use it.
3. Doesn't cost anything.
4. Will decompose into the soil.
5. Earthworms really like it.
6. Good for keeping the ground cool in hot weather.
7. Holds in the moisture conserving water.
8. It will last most the season or sometimes the entire summer considering how thick it is.
Cardboard Boxes doesn't cost anything ??? Here in our areas of Cal. or Wa. we CAN NOT find a single grocery store or any other type of store where you can get a single cardboard box ( Costco is an exception as they have their customers dispose of all of their boxes as they do not offer paper bags or plastic bags to carry out their purchases but only at any box that is next in line), not even at any price. You see , management dictated that all cardboard boxes must be recycled. And where do you suppose that the management got their directive from ? :caf

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A lot of stores recycle cardboard here but if you ask them they will let you have some. Maybe because we live in a small town but even when we lived in the city places like Walmart would let you have boxes. Ask when would be a good time to pick some up. Often they stock the shelves all night and then early morning you can have the boxes (for free).

Latest posts