What's the Deal?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here too, but there is usually a tiny little note next to the lower, advertised price "Cash".

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Umpqua just got rid of their free checking for my husband's biz account, unless he keeps $1K in there. Grrrr.
A tiny Gold Country bank still offers free checking with no min anything. Good for them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, is the charge for checking fees or for fees in general?

What we've done is have a savings account at a large-ish bank. That has allowed us to do just about anything we want with the bank -- cash checks from other institutions free included. Then we have a checking account (with a savings) at a credit union -- with no fees -- that we use for paying bills and such.

Finally, we have an all-purpose -- no fee -- credit card that we use for most purchases through the month. We have NEVER paid interest or late fees for credit. Folks like us (hi, @w_r_ranch!) are known as "dead beats" because they get no money from us. They keep us because they do collect charge fees from companies we deal with.

Oh, yes, and I have a 10 year old virgin debit card tied to an unused checking account that is called "collateral" with my PayPal account. Never more than $300 (usually less) that I could lose. Then I transfer money into the account for a specific large purchase.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's for checking only.

I'm wondering if I could just get along with a savings account. What would be the difference?

Ummm, I do write about a dozen checks each year. Let's think about that ... do we need checking accounts?

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, would you qualify for a senior checking account? Ours is free to seniors. I would have mine in a credit union---I like the concept---but there is none near me. I learned long ago to pay off my credit card every month, but I know there are lots of folks who have emergencies and end up paying through the nose on their credit card. I have no love affair with banks and other credit vultures, to be sure.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nobody ever questions that when I show up on Senior Discount Day at the garden center.

There's no mention of it at the bank. Of course, I may miss it if I don't have my ear trumpet aimed in the right direction.

The tellers are always real nice to me, like I might have lots of money, or might mention them in my will, or something ...

Steve