What's wrong with these cucumbers

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MILs cucumbers aren't looking so hot.
She says they wilted but then perked back up. Is this just from being dry, or is it something else?
IMG_20210326_134324.jpg
IMG_20210326_134317.jpg
IMG_20210326_134332.jpg

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is that composted cow manure? It may have a aminopyralid herbicide in it. It makes me think chemistry anyway, durn stuff will let the plants come up and about 2 weeks later as they begin normal development it shows itself. Its a heartbreaker.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might be a ..

. peat-moss-absorbing-water problem.

Amazing stuff, peat moss. Really soaks up water. Allow it to dry out and it repels water. In high percentages, it can cause watering problems, besides being nutrient deficient.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they get dry they will wilt down and perk back up when you water them. I don't like that yellow look to them though. They look a little leggy so maybe they aren't getting enough light to cause that yellow look. Or maybe that color is the variety. I don't trust things to look "normal" anymore. Low light levels would not cause them to die like that, they'd just get very leggy.

I do not see signs of damping off, which usually comes from too much moisture. If it were damping off the stem would shrivel and turn black at the soil line.

It looks like each seed germinated so the "dirt" was warm enough at that phase. Air temperature is something else. I would not expect them to look like that if it was due to cold. I'd expect them to be stunted, not some drying out.

My guess is that it has to do with lack of water. To me that is the simplest explanation. To me watering is one of the most challenging parts of seed starting. Too much and too little are both bad.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It’s definitely time to move them into #35 pots (3 1/2 inch) or bigger. Typically i move everything just before two tru leaves, contrary to what everyone tells us and find they move much easier and have never lost one! I have up-potted every thing i grow in the cotyledon stage for several years now.
im not a fan of those pressed cube thingies, they’re too tough and in my mind; impede root growth. I do use the small cell trays but with a good organic starting mix. (Coast of Maine seed starting mix)

some of the pressed cube‘s are advertised to “have everything your seed needs” in them and it could be the makeup of the cube has something to do with it? Beyond that im with @Ridgerunner, water and light!

i do use the 1 1/2 inch cells for everything up to Cuke seed size but beyond that simply start in the #35’s and save one round of up-potting.
with the cukes, im planting 5 seeds per #35 and will trim it to 3 per hill when they are planted out.

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that composted cow manure? It may have a aminopyralid herbicide in it. It makes me think chemistry anyway, durn stuff will let the plants come up and about 2 weeks later as they begin normal development it shows itself. Its a heartbreaker.
No, these are root riot cubes. They are made especially for starting seedlings and have rooting hormones in the cube. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might be a ..

. peat-moss-absorbing-water problem.

Amazing stuff, peat moss. Really soaks up water. Allow it to dry out and it repels water. In high percentages, it can cause watering problems, besides being nutrient deficient.

Steve
I had to look up what the cubes are made of, and yes they are made of peet moss. This could be the problem.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that AMK' is providing "filtered" information to her MIL. In the beginner's thread, I didn't want to discourage any that are just starting out but, every single one of those easy vegetables has caused me problems at times. (I think @Ridgerunner came down to saying that radish are the easiest and I'm wondering how many times flea beetles have just destroyed my radish plants ;).)

With vining crops, the seedlings are vulnerable to 4-legged pests ... or, 2-legged with feathers. I direct seeded them in the garden until losing them began to weigh on me. Sometime, probably less than 10 years ago, I tried transplanting.

Have to say that cucumbers did not have much of a problem with critters eating them but they were included in the group with the squash, melons, and pumpkins. It worked!

I can see how peat pots (with the bottom torn off at planting time) might help. I've not done that. Neither have I been courageous enuf to up-pot beyond 4-packs, @Alasgun ! Good on you :). Loose soil, completely soaking wet, a cloudy day, 3 or 4 weeks old -- out they go!

@Pulsegleaner talks about squirrels and chipmunks eating special pea sprouts - but, (hopefully) leaving them alone if they go out later. I'm sure it has something to do with available food and choice for the pests. They like sprouts and a squirrel can eat quite a few in one meal. Month old plants and the pests are more likely to turn up their furry little snouts.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
single one of those easy vegetables has caused me problems at times. I think Ridgerunner came down to saying that radish are the easiest and I'm wondering how many times flea beetles have just destroyed my radish plants
Just shows you how hard it is to come up with a good list for everyone. I've had problems with practically everything too, including radishes. I haven't had problems with flea beetles and radishes, eggplant is usually what I see destroyed by flea beetles. My problems with radishes when I have them is that they don't bulb up but bolt straight to seed. It's always something.

Latest posts