Whats your favorite bulb?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my favorite bulb would have to be Snowdrops. they give me hope that spring is surely around the corner when i see them sprouting up and blooming this time of year.

also i like the red spider lilies in september....

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do love the snowdrops, they're just poking their leaves out right now, they won't be blooming for another month or so.

What is my favorite? :hu That's a toughy. I love them all! I think the little blue reticulated iris are my favorite, though. Maybe not....like I said, I love them all!

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pink tulips, followed by crocus and daffodils (they look so cheerful :coolsun). Snowdrops are pretty but I don't have any. :(

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, I do not think I can pick one bulb :eek: <g>

I greatly love the first little small golden crocuses of the year; no recollection what they're called, but for me they (not snowdrops) are the first sign of winter being over. Then Ice Follies daffodils, in large drifts. And either Chionodoxa or Scilla, for their blue blue blue (but not together, because they are *different* blue blue blues).

'Naked ladies' amaryllis in the summer, back when I lived further south. And in the fall, the common kind of fall crocus (bright purple/lavender with orange stamens) and any kind of colchicums.

(edited to add: and there have to be grape hyacinths, the usual boring kind, because they were practically the only flower I remember loving as a child, and used to pick huge handsfulls to cram into a tiny bronze vase and I thought they were the most beautiful thing in the world, and then mom then would invariably put the vaseful on top of the toilet tank in the bathroom. I dunno, maybe mom does not like grape hyacinths as much as I do, LOL)

Pat, wishing it would go ahead and be spring, already

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beefy, I learned this morning that snow drops grow in a yard with cypress, live oaks, and a "massive magnolia!"

A very old park not far away has snow drops which should appear out from under the snow here in a few more weeks.

Of course the crocus are a welcome sign of spring and the daffodils are so bright and showy in drifts - a person can see 'em from a block away! I must just have the common King Alfreds here in the yard but they brighten the entire area.

I don't suppose iris can count as a bulb but their rhizomes send up those beautiful flowers - and that's a true sign of continuing warm weather :rainbow-sun!! Not only are they of various colors but the soft fragrances are delightful. :)

Steve

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hard to chose but I'd say a sunny yellow daffodil. Although those first snowdrops and crocuses do make me smile. And gladioli remind me of my grandfather.