When can I pick my apples?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never had an apple tree before and I have no idea when I can pick my apples. I have no idea what kind it is since my husband bought it and the tag is gone. So how do I tell when the apples are ready to be picked?

DSCF0001a-1.jpg

DSCF0003b-1.jpg

DSCF0002a-2.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice apples ;) , i have a tree with similar apples like yours i'll have to post pictures sometime.

To tell when its ripe, you have to grab the apple in the palm of your hand and try to twist it off the tree if its ripe it will just break off, but if not then its not ready. Yours definely arent ripe just by looking at them.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! I had heard that was the way to tell, but I wasn't sure if it was correct. I'm sure looking forward to them!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
Thanks! I had heard that was the way to tell, but I wasn't sure if it was correct. I'm sure looking forward to them!
No problem, anytime ;)
I'll try to post you pics of some apples i have in my yard yours looks quite similar to mine.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Nice apples ;) , i have a tree with similar apples like yours i'll have to post pictures sometime.

To tell when its ripe, you have to grab the apple in the palm of your hand and try to twist it off the tree if its ripe it will just break off, but if not then its not ready. Yours definely arent ripe just by looking at them.
+1. Even the very earliest apples aren't going to be ready before late July, early August-ish. Most can be picked in, oh, around September.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My apples look just like yours. They make perfect baked treats.

Oh, pick them when they stop growing. Thats how we do it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am yet to see any on mine. I got 2 types a green (which I'm scared its going to be hard to tell ripe green from still ripening green! LOL) my green is an early developer, supposably late July. My red variety is suppose to ripen in late August.

Those look like a yellow delicious or green lodi variety to me.... but you're still far from ripening.... they could be red delicious even. I doubt they are macintosh, granny smith or Johnathon.

Latest posts