When can I plant peas for a Fall crop?

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It was way too wet to work the soil this spring in time for a Spring planting of peas, so I'm hoping that fall planting will work for my location.

I'm in northeast TN, a few miles from southwest VA, about 40 miles from the NC border...zone 6...the first killing frost occurs near October 15th.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would plant the last week of July-First week of August. I will be planting the first week-2nd week of August in NC Zone 7b

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've already planted mine. I did not have a spring garden so I wanted to extend the growing season a little bit so I could get more produce. Happy growing.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In your location you have to try for a balance in the weather for a Fall crop. You have to plant it early enough to have time for a crop before a heavy frost. Light frost at night won't bother it so long as it warms in the daytime. If the ground is too warm they may not want to come up so cool it down by piling on a light colored mulch like fresh straw and work a little hole in it where you plant the seed.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you, everybody, for your replies. The snow peas have just been planted. I thought there were some shelling pea seed in the seed box, but there were none. Sigh. :(

Latest posts