When do you call police?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am using a iPad overlook any mistakes please. SAt

Afternoon a older client who lives alone with 4 dogs called me crying. HEr 16 year old dog died,she kept repeteing I lost my best friend. SHe asked if one. Of my guys could bury dog next day. I told her not to worry my guys would be there in the am. ABout 1030 I sent 2 guys she lives about 5 houses from kennel. 3 dogs where outside car in driveway but no answer to door or phone. I went back at 11:30 12:30 2:00 calling every half hour. WE had a heatwave hitting 90, the dogs outside all day. AT 3:00 I went back with a friend,now I was very worried something was wrong. WE went to house next door, neighbor said dogs where never out all day, said no one visits if car in driveway she is home. AT about 4pm I called police. All day I was going back and forth about calling. AFter talking to next door neighbor police broke in. THey found her passed out drunk. Now I wish I never called police. HOw do you know when to call with a senior?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When do you call police in those circumstances? When you have the nerve to act when you strongly suspect something is wrong. I'm glad the police were called when Mom was passed out on the floor from a urinary tract infection, it saved her life. Anybody living alone is always at risk, it's not just seniors. You are torn with indecision when you see something like that, sometimes you are a hero if you call or you may be seen as a heel. But you don't know what is going on so you have to use your best judgment.

It's not as dramatic as Kitty Genovese but sometimes people die when others are frozen into inaction. You did the right thing.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, you did the right thing. I might have checked on her earlier though and probably called the police sooner.

Once my elderly neighbor left his garage door open. It was the first time and I was worried. I called his daughter who came right over. He had left and forgotten to close his garage door. But I thought he might have been passed out or something. I knew she lived close by and had a key. Otherwise I would have called the police.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep, you did the right thing. I might have checked on her earlier though and probably called the police sooner.

Once my elderly neighbor left his garage door open. It was the first time and I was worried. I called his daughter who came right over. He had left and forgotten to close his garage door. But I thought he might have been passed out or something. I knew she lived close by and had a key. Otherwise I would have called the police.

Mary

We all keep an eye out for our neighbors around here, we pretty much know each others daily routines, if something doesn't look right we investigated, we all know it's not just being nosy. Lights, a door left open that is usually shut, blinds etc. We know when each of us are away and we keep an eye on things, more so if the neighbor lives alone. This has proved to be the right thing to do more than once.
Once things didn't look right at our next door neighbor, hubby investigated, found evidence something wasn't right and phoned the hospital to see if this neighbor had been admitted, yes. Big relief it wasn't something life threatening, we looked after things until the neighbor came home.

You did the right thing Alex, better to be the caring person that you are than being sorry :thumbsup.

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You did the right thing, Alex, and she should understand that you were only concerned for her. The police do check on adults for safety and well-being if asked. It is a regular thing, apparently. My grandmother called them to check on my Dad. He wouldn't come to the door. They didn't break it in though. She got impatient when she couldn't get ahold of me. I had a key...did go check as soon as I got the message though.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugsYou did the right thing. My Brother had several of us worried when his ex-GF called saying he would not come to door when she stopped. After repeated phone calls and no answer I asked other brother if he had Hank's friends #. He had lost it. So the plan was for one of us to go check the next day. By then the County
Corner was calling me to say the P.O. had the police do a wellness check because his mail was left in the box 2 days and his truck was home. We felt awful about not calling or driving up sooner. Although it was determined he'd passed suddenly 2 days prior. So yes, you did the right thing to call for a wellness check. THANK YOU. :hugs

Latest posts