When & How to Plant These Flower Seeds???

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I harvested a whole bunch of common milkweed and datura white moonflower seeds from plants in the field. I am sure they were ripe when I harvested them. I thought they might rot in our wet cold winter, so I waited to sow them around March and some later, early May-ish. Not a one came up! I probably planted at least 500 seeds of each!

Since the plants drop their seeds right now, in the fall, is it better to plant them now than wait until Spring? I have grown datura from seed in the spring in peat pots by soaking the seeds and then exposing them to heat, I think it was, and a steamy bathroom, but that is such a pain. I would like to be able to just sow the seeds directly in the ground. and have them come up, with little effort.

I'm in Salt Lake City, Zone 6ish-7ish. Any hits and tips? The plants that came up in the field this year were puny and few. Most got plowed under. But I have collected moonflower seeds from another location, and a friend is mailing me some new common milkweed seeds to plant.

All advice appreciated. What type of soil to plant in, etc? Can I plant them near a Black walnut tree on a mound of sandy soil that has good drainage, for example?

Latest posts