When is hot compost safe?

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What is the consensus on how long to let compost made with chicken poo rest so that it will be safe/not burn my plants?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Safe is relative, of course... some plants are much more fond of, or sensitive to, big doses of fresh poo-nitrogen than other plants are.

Except for filling a hole underneath squash or melon seedlings or maybe corn, I would not personally put much manure onto plants til it has sat for 3-4 months. (Though you can sometimes judiciously sidedress *small* amounts of fresh poo, around plants with a good sense of humor about that sort of thing). For more-sensitive plants, or if it was really just A Pile O Poo with not much carbonaceous stuff mixed in, it is really best IMHO to wait at least 6 months if not more.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you high altitude? I have noticed stuff breaks down pretty quickly at 5500 ft above sea level.

I am working with duck poo though and it doesn't seem to be as "hot" as chicken poo. Must be all the water they mix in with everything :p

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We are at high altitude-5300-5500 depending on who you ask. So I could let it sit for a month or so?

Latest posts