When is the best time to plant onions and garlic?

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea! i'm in zone 9 - and i just planted some onion seeds, going to plant some garlic too.

sorry, I'm not a lot of help!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You plant garlic in the fall and let it to winter. Onions can be planted just about anytime through the normal growing season. However if you plant them in hotter weather it will make a little hotter onion just like it does with a radish.

Hobby

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
However if you plant them in hotter weather it will make a little hotter onion just like it does with a radish.

Hobby
REALLY!?! wow i learn something everyday on this forum.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
However if you plant them in hotter weather it will make a little hotter onion just like it does with a radish.Hobby
What if you put them in the fridge to cool first?

joking..:lol:

I plant the garlic in October, and it is ready to harvest now. Onion sets I put out in April, are huge, but the tops are still green. Green onions seeds that I planted late last summer, I have been picking and using all spring and summer. Some green onion seeds I planted just recently, are just showing. I find they are slow to grow from seeds. You almost need to plant them a year in advance.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just harvested my garlic today. I planted in October, and essentially did nothing to it, and they came out beautifully. I totally recommend planting it! In zone 6, I planted yellow onions this spring & they're HUGE. They're still in the ground. I read that they're ready to pull when the tops die back. Is that correct?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What do you guys do with your garlic when you pull it? Braid and hang, lay out to finish the dry, or leave it in the ground til the tops or completely dry?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I braided mine & hung it in our laundry room, which is kinda dark but well-ventilated. I've never grown garlic before, so I'm not sure how that will work. I read somewhere (maybe here) that someone hung it from their open patio table umbrella.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my understanding is that the most important thing when drying it is the lower the humidity the better off you are on keeping it from rotting when drying the stems.

Latest posts