When Less is More

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... but less than enough.

I had an unusual dream before waking this morning. I felt like a journalist, interviewing a couple on a farm. I also felt like they were family.

Very young, not out of their 20's, I suppose. The farmyard was clear, machines in sheds, I'm talking to the husband. He is telling me how if he produces more, production costs rise while each unit produced has lower value. He doesn't mention the advantage of "economy of scale." Perhaps, he feels that he is against some sort of ceiling.

His wife seems to have taken this to heart and I find her busy planting in her garden. She is young and I think of her as a niece, or maybe a grand-niece.

She shows me a packet of seeds for something like parsnips ... I notice the quantity and she tells me how much she expects to sell them for, each. I do some quick math in my head and say, "that's about $100."

She looks at me closely as though to try to see if I'm kidding. She says, "then it doesn't matter." And, I awaken.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need a dream interpreter, Steve.
To my mind, this sounds like a dream in which you allow yourself to muse about the feelings of hopeless/helplessness that we are all feeling now. I think we continue to make plans for the future, even though we suspect there is none. Ugh!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
(in best Carl Jung voice) Perhaps you are experiencing echos in your dreams of garden frustration? :old (says one going through that phase)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Jung and those authors I was quoting on @so lucky 's thread would agree on, @Zeedman ;).

Leaving myself aside for the moment (as digitS' squirms out from under the microscope :eek:.)

I'm curious what @seedcorn and others with commercial farming experience would say about that young farmer's thinking, given the current state of agriculture. I mostly climbed over the farm fence about 40 years ago.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need a dream interpreter, Steve.
To my mind, this sounds like a dream in which you allow yourself to muse about the feelings of hopeless/helplessness that we are all feeling now. I think we continue to make plans for the future, even though we suspect there is none. Ugh!

there is a future. that is for sure. whether humans and other large animals are a part of that we dunno. at the current rate of destruction i'm not sure ... i have hopes, but ...

Latest posts