When life gives you lemons....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I became enamored with amaranth. I have had Love Lies Bleeding and Elephant head in the garden. Well, those seeds are so pretty and maybe I didn't get around to cutting them before they dried and dropped onto the dirt. End result....I have amaranth everywhere. In the rows in the actual garden, in the grass, in the cracks in the sidewalk- you get the idea!
I have been pulling it and pulling it. There is absolutely no way I can stay ahead of it. So, tonight we are having black beans and amaranth! Google tells me it is a very healthy green (like kale) and that Asians use it in cooking all the time. Here goes nothing....I will give you results after dinner.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the chickens do eat it...but I will die from exhaustion if I try to pull it all for them! I like the book idea thistle. Each recipe will include chives and mint, as well!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a packet of amaranth seed that I never got around to planting. Maybe it is no good now. It grows so tall, I never could decide where I should put it. I already have redroot pigweed (a wild type of amaranth) to deal with, so maybe it's a good thing I didn't plant it! I would eat it though, if I did.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd bet money those seeds are still viable, Journey!! Actually, if you do not let the plants go to seed- I am sure you would not have this problem...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just might have to plant them then and at least enjoy the greens. Thanks for the warning! :p

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a HUGE invasive weed for agriculture.