when should i harvest my basil?

karahuels

Sprout
Reaction score
The temperature outside is... Not really cold. Its near the end of September and my basil is doing great. But when should i harvest it? It has seeds, not even closd to being mature. They are fully green, some finished flowering a few days ago.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you plan to do with it? I harvest mine during the season, hopefully just before it blooms, by cutting the stems off just above a couple of buds and strip the leaves to dehydrate them. They grow back great. I also collect it fresh as needed throughout the season, either for flavoring or to make pesto. I do not save basil seeds but some always mature. I often have volunteers the next spring.

To me basil is one of several herbs that I harvest throughout the growing season by cutting it back as the season progresses. It's not something I wait until the end of the season before I use it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Agreed. Harvest NOW. It won't taste good after a freeze. Dry it out.

Phaedra Geiermann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What do you plan to do with it? I harvest mine during the season, hopefully just before it blooms, by cutting the stems off just above a couple of buds and strip the leaves to dehydrate them. They grow back great. I also collect it fresh as needed throughout the season, either for flavoring or to make pesto. I do not save basil seeds but some always mature. I often have volunteers the next spring.

To me basil is one of several herbs that I harvest throughout the growing season by cutting it back as the season progresses. It's not something I wait until the end of the season before I use it.
Same here; I harvest mine during the season, too. Sometimes, when the weather becomes a stress factor for the plants, they will start to bolt. I usually cut them short (till the lowest side shoots), so they will remain relatively young. This method works quite well; after a few weeks, the basils grow even larger and bushier. I also plant Basils in different locations - they belong to the "weekly-harvest crops" in my garden.

Latest posts