When should I move them?

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What time of year should I move perrinial herbs from one part of the yard to another? I've just decided to make the move, but I am thinking it is too late to do it now until it gets cold again.

Do you think they will be alright if (when I DO move them) I just dig up a big chunk of dirt with them and move them, and their dirt to a hole in the new place?

I've got lavender, thyme, sage and the dreaded tarragon I want to move out near the chicken coop. There is more sun out there and the soil is better.

Thanks,
Cassandra

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cassandra, now is a perfect time to move them. Mid-summer with hot days & nights would be the worst time. Fall is also a good time.

And even though it seems logical to fertilize things as you move them to a new location, herbs don't usually benefit from fertilizer. Especially the Mediterranean (sp?) ones like lavender, thyme and rosemary.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, now should be fine. A month ago would have been slightly better, when the new growth is just beginning, but as long as you move plenty of roots and water them as needed over the summer, they'll be fine.

As Buff says, they do best in rather poor (and well-drained) soil. Their flavor is better that way too.

Pat

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
As Buff says, they do best in rather poor (and well-drained) soil. Their flavor is better that way too.

Pat
I'll be sure to throw some rocks and rusty nails in their holes so they feel sufficiently abused.

;)

Cassandra

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I'll be sure to throw some rocks and rusty nails in their holes so they feel sufficiently abused.

;)
Very funny!

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was joking. PAT! I was JOKING about the NAILS!!!

(and the rocks... because I'm just too lazy to be bothered)

:cool:

I think I have decided to wait until the fall. We are having mid-ninety temps this weekend. It is nothing urgent. I can wait a few months if it will give them a better shot at making it.

(plus, I can give them a daily shovel beating in the meantime to toughen them up for the move.)

:)

Cassandra

Latest posts