When there's a will there's a way...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A few year's back I went looking for a hanging pot rack to clear up some cupboard space in the kitchen. After looking at what was available and seeing what they cost I said to myself there's no way in .... I'm paying that for those flimsy bits of metal.
I kept staring at at a black wire set of shelves we had at home and the ol' light bulb came on, with a bit of help from hubby I came up with this. With a bit of chain and 8 wooden balls from Michael's this is what we ended up with. A good sturdy pot rack for pennies as I already had the shelf unit.

What to do with the rest of the shelf unit, why not a spot for the coffee pot. Had to rearrange the shelves and cut some wood for a couple of the shelves, 4 more wooden ball with wine corks attached to fit down the hollow metal legs to finish them off. This sits in the corner where the washer and dryer were, those were moved to the basement, cost a few bucks for the fittings but I got my pot rack ;)
DSCN0474.JPG
DSCN0481.JPG

For years I painted the kitchen floor, it's now tiled along with most of the rooms in our small house, but hey that's another story LOL.

Any of you guys repurpose stuff? Think outside the box?
Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really like that coffee station. It looks really nice and efficient. I try to think outside the box, but sometimes my box is round. :\

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love it!!! I love it when folks use the noggin to come to a solution instead of just throwing money at it. I repurpose things all the time...you could say it's a lifelong habit of mine, so the list is long and continuous.

It's one of the things I drilled into my boys' lives...problem solving skills. Sadly lacking in many in this current generation, but oh, so very valuable to have to live your life.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job, Annette!

I had cart like that in the South Window for seedlings during their first few weeks. It was replaced by a drop leaf table both my kids used in their early homes. Mom had bought that table at St. Vincent de Paul and given it to me when I was off on my own in a new home ..!

Maybe that shows how frugal and uncreative I am! Yeah, the little cheap thing is still in the window, waiting for this year's crop ;). I don't know what happened to the metal cart. Maybe my youngest carried it off ...

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's very attractive Annette, way to be creative!
I love those light bulb moments, such a clever feeling. :)

I looked at pot hangers also for my cast iron, but the ones that were heavy duty enough were ridiculously priced. My husband ended up hanging them on the wall inside my pantry, which used to be a guest coat closet between the front door and the kitchen.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks guys, what I like about it is I can hang some pretty heavy pots on it. I haven't secured the S hooks on the rack, so once in awhile when taking a pot down a hook ends up on the floor, but all in all it has worked out well.
Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's perfect! How resourceful of you. I saw one a while back made out of a section of an old wooden ladder.