when to harvest potatoes?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You don't cover them completely, leave the tips out. Potatoes form above the planted tuber, that's why you put them at the bottom of a bit of a trench and fill in the soil as the plants grow.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dragon, I have been using the straw method as my pots are getting taller. Every few days I go out and add some more straw. It is not "packed down" enough to break the stalks-just mound over the plant that is poking out. I keep adding so my straw mounds are getting higher. About once a week I add some dirt/light compost mix right around the base of the plant to help build this up as well. My starts were put right on top of the soil and I made the straw mound over them. I will keep this up until the plants start to die. My straw at this time is about a foot deep. My plants have been on the ground since about May 1 but we had a really cold may and June here in Oregon. A few of mine are starting to flower but I have several different kinds.

Fletemae: I am interested as well in your "potato Holes" for storage. About how far down did you dig? I may end up with more pots than we can eat and would love to store them for winter. Also, when did you store them? As soon as they were ready to harvest or when the temps start to cool down in fall?

I am sorry you had a hungry childhood. As a mother I am sure that was hard on your mom. I can't imagine my kids ever being hungry(for lack of food in the pantry-that is) I am happy that you are in better circumstances now. :D

Latest posts