When to pick strawberry?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
And yes, I do mean just one...lol!
I have just one little berry! :)

I went outside to feed the duckies and after they got done tripping me with excitement and I fed them, I wandered off to check the in ground garden.

And I saw wee little corns popping up!!! Wheeeeee! I got so excited with a super happy face and squealy voice! Lol. Most of them are popping up this morning and weren't damaged my the dogs or sheep yesterday! Phew! Now just hoping the ducks don't nibble them... =0

Then I went over to the 3 little strawberry plants to see how they're doing and I spotted a tiny red berry! In a real strawberry shape, too! So it wasn't a wild one, but mine! I put a leaf over it so birds don't see it and eat it before I can get an answer.

Bottom was still a bit yellow, top nice n red!

Can they fully ripen in the house, off the vine or do I need to leave it outside?

Thanks!

I'll get pictures in a bit to share.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
2016-05-27 12.22.19.jpg
20160527_111001-1.jpg
20160527_110946-1.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also, can I move them to a container or best to do it in the fall?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait till you can't stand it any more. No, really, there is a point when it is juicy ripe, bright red with a shine to it. Past this point, it loses its shine, and starts to go downhill.
They do not actually ripen further in the house, but will soften. Just won't be as sweet as field ripened.
We have had so much rain, I fear my remaining crop is ruined.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That one should be ripe in a day.
I picked my first s/berries yesterday, about a dozen. Looks like there'll be a good crop this year.

THANX RICH

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
The little berry was more red on bottom.

We have rats, mice and snakes by the hay bales. The rats catch the baby blackbirds, drag them under the bales and eat them! =0 Found several corpses today...ick!
The mice and rats also get into the greenhouse and chew my potatoes! So I know they'll eat my wittle berry!

I think I'll run out and pick it....