Where Do Fruit Flies Come From?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I left a melon on kitchen counter at weekend house. When I got there last night melon was moldyand kitchen filled with tiny flies. House was sealed up, do fruit flies lay eggs on skins of fruit that hatch in warm temperature?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
And they appear overnight! UGH. DH was fermenting tomato pulp to save seed. And did not cover jar. TONS of fruit flies in less than 24 hours. Thankfully as soon as things are cleaned up and food source is gone. They disappear. They have a very short life span.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We raised Drosophila in high school biology in our study of genetics. I took some vestigial wing flies home. They can't fly. I raised them on a banana sprinkled with bread yeast.

At that time, I had Betta fish. They liked 'em! It was fairly easy for me to feed them to the fish but I never learned if fruit flies are a good choice for a Betta's diet.

Ten years later, I had Bettas again. I asked the high school kid next door for vestigial wing fruit flies, at least I seem to remember that is where I got them. I learned to rotate the cheese cloth cover from the fruit fly jar, with several flies clinging to it, to cover the Betta bowl.

I did grow tired of the smell of fermenting banana :rolleyes:.

Steve

Latest posts