Where do you keep your seeds?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep mine in a plastic tote inside the house, but was told the best place to keep them is wrapped in paper inside a sealed jar in the veggie crisper in the fridge. I know I have several that probably need to be tossed since they are old, but I'll do a germination test first to see if they are still good.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are alphabetized, categorized, color coded... oh wait a minute. That was a dream. Mine are scattered all about- and rarely where I can find them. I have the best intentions and then the pile gets too big, and... well you know the rest of the story!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are on basement shelves.

It isn't very cool in that room down there. Nor, is it very moist - which should be a good thing. There is a natural gas furnace and a gas water heater that share that room.

The other basement room is for the dahlias and such.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha Lesa! :D
Mine are mostly* in a gallon jar with a couple of those dessicant packages that I swiped out of vitamin bottles, and I keep them in a cool closet. So far germination has stayed good... except peppers...

*the ones that aren't in the jar are someplace else :rolleyes: I'm sure I'll remember before spring.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are in paper envelopes inside of plastic baggies that are labeled by category of veggie, then those are all in a ratty old grocery bag stuffed inside my deep freezer. I've really got to purge some stuff this year, particularly flower seeds.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Mine are alphabetized, categorized, color coded... oh wait a minute. That was a dream. Mine are scattered all about- and rarely where I can find them. I have the best intentions and then the pile gets too big, and... well you know the rest of the story!
OMG - that's me too. But last fall I did manage to get all of my seeds into a large old potato chip tin and on a shelf in one of the the barns. I always like to keep my seeds outdoors (sorta) to let them go through the freeze/thaw cycles of winter. I was taught this many years ago and I have done it since then. Luckily I have very good germination success with this method.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have ours in small manila evelopes labeled with what they are, then they are stuffed into a gallon ziploc bag and stored in the freezer. The ones we'll be using this year are on the counter tho... LOL

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine are in glass jars in my detached workshop. I use the glass jars because I've had weevils destroy some that were not sealed and it protects them from moisture. It's probably better to keep them in the freezer or refrigerator to protect them from getting too warm, but I don't always do what is best.

I thought of one exception. I keep my bean seeds in the freezer in a ziplock bag. Again the weevils are my biggest concern.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
What Lesa said.... although I did folow Smiles advice and put the seeds he sent me in a glass jar in tha garage until time to plant.
(By the way Smiles DH has a few brandywine up already.)

Latest posts