Where I am

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been absent a bit because we're vacationing in the western mountains of North Carolina. They think it's winter here! :lol: It's been in the high 40's up to the lower 70's, but today we're getting that weather that went through the south last night and caused all that chaos. Fortunately it had calmed down before it got here. At least they're getting lots of relief from the drought with all of this rain! Anyways, it's a taste of spring, and has made me realize I've got to get my seeds ordered as soon as I get home (on Saturday)! :tools

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, there you are, Ann.

I had the opportunity to go to western North Carolina this Winter and all I could think of is, "what would I be doing there, what would I be doing :/!" I suppose it might be better than looking out at all this snow, here.

But, there you are . . . what are you doing?

Steve

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hope you're enjoying your visit to my former neck of the woods Ann. I'm jealous! We were there a year ago and actually I get less and less homesick as time goes by.
ENJOY!

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Where in W. NC did you go? I am from Franklin. It is in the Southern part, near the border of GA and SC. I think the winters there are perfect. Some snow, some cold weather, but not too much. Where I live now it dusted snow one night and we had 50 accidents (black ice) and we are the smallest county in NC. I hadn't seen snow since '02.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a timeshare week we trade off, so this time we went to Sapphire, just east of Cashiers. It was a nice place and all, but they're building the heck out of it, there are huge houses sprouting all over the mountains - and it ain't cheap, either! We talked to one couple who were looking to retire there, they must have had money, because they were looking in places where the lot was $400K, then because you were purchasing in a golf area, you had to join the country club, that's another $100K (one time fee :ep) and a $13K yearly membership - and none of this has a bit of house started, that's another $400K or so. Whew!

We did go down to Pickens, SC - that seemed like a much more affordable place, and it hasn't been 'discovered' yet, according to some people we met who lived there. I dunno, we keep looking, but I really think we're going to stay in New England. I do love the area we live in, and we can escape up to Maine whenever we want, so.....I think we're staying.

I can't imagine living in those mountains and trying to garden, unless you buy a small farm that's got land that's already cleared - I'd hate to have to deal with those slopes on my own.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
I can't imagine living in those mountains and trying to garden, unless you buy a small farm that's got land that's already cleared - I'd hate to have to deal with those slopes on my own.
I did it for years and was successful enough to feed my family. I was taught by an old man who had no more than 3 ft. wide level places in his garden area. He tiered it all. I still remember his beautiful gardens.

Latest posts