Where to buy Sarsaparilla

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made yeast-fermented ginger ale earlier this year. It was, unfortunately, *nasty*. Very bitter tasting. Possibly I did something wrong; I would like to try it sometime with maybe champagne yeast; but, still.

Wild (bristly) sasparilla is pretty easy to recognize on walks in the woods -- check yer field guide, it's quite distinctive looking in early spring. I thought Richters had it? Maybe I misremember. Anyhow, AFAIK it is not actually what sasparilla soda is normally made of, any more than wild ginger is what ginger ale is made of (unrelated plant), so I'm not sure that'd help.

The rootbeer recipe I've seen says to buy Zatarain's brand rootbeer flavoring :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

As I was searching the other day for the sarsaparilla, I too ran into many recipes that just said "rootbeer flavoring" or "rootbeer extract".

Does anyone have this product on their shelf? What does the ingredients say?

Just sparked my curiosity. It could be an imitation flavor and for years no one has enjoyed the true flavor of original Rootbeer. Makes you wonder.

Ron

applefalls

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I mean, I'll go hiking and keep a sharp eye out, but I think I'd remember stepping on something that smelled like soda pop. Does it grow in Massachusetts? Anyone know?
I live in Maryland. One time I was taking a hike with a guide, and we could smell that familiar root beer smell as we walked. One of the kids commented on it, and our guide found a nearby tree and scraped a bit of the bark for us to smell. I'm pretty sure the guide told us it was sassafras.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I thought Richters had it?
I was hoping, but that was the first place I checked. Companion Plants, who normally has odd spices like vanilla orchids and such, didn't have it either.

The rootbeer recipe I've seen says to buy Zatarain's brand rootbeer flavoring :p
That's cheating!!! :tongue

Latest posts