Where to get non Monsanto ONION PLANTS from.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I hope I am not putting this in the wrong section. I am a newbie at starting seeds though I am going to try my hand at peppers, tomatoes and a variety of other seeds this year. I know I am going to at least fail with half of those or more. I also know that there is no way I would be successful with onion seeds my first year. So I need a non GMO non Monsanto supplier for plants.

We have a local greenhouse but I figure he buys his seeds from one of Monsanto suppliers. Does anyone know where I can purchase plants from?

I have a really hard time even looking at catalogs from Monsanto owned companies :somad, but sometimes they are good for descriptions and photos of something I want to plant. So I get the info there and then go find a family or employee owned company and purchase what I need. This is something I have just been made aware of and can't bring myself to support those bass turds with my purchases now that I know what I know. :idunno

I am a little torn however because I know I am not going to get all my seeds germinated and hardened off. I will need some plants for backup. I don't want to be in the postion where I go to my local greenhouse and buy plants. I do however have to have a harvest as I can most of what we eat throughout the year.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check out Maine Potato Lady. Not sure if she has seeds, but she has sets.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Monsanto hasn't gotten around to GMoing onions yet. Give them time, they'll get there. It takes a little more hunting to find companies that sell seed that Monsanto hasn't bought out but there are stil some around.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Onions grow so easily why would they change them? I hear their arguments about making the veggies more hardy... blah... blah ... blah but there is no way to sell that with onions. It is easier to grow onions than weeds. I hear you though Hoodat, give them time.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
I also know that there is no way I would be successful with onion seeds my first year. So I need a non GMO non Monsanto supplier for plants.
How do you know you will not be successful with onion seeds? I was on my first try. They went NUTS the first time I planted onion seeds. I have never bought "onion sets" or pre-started onions or any of that stuff. Just seeds, directly sown into the soil.

You may surprise yourself with the success you could have with seeds!

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Monsanto hasn't gotten around to GMoing onions yet. Give them time, they'll get there. It takes a little more hunting to find companies that sell seed that Monsanto hasn't bought out but there are stil some around.
Oh great Hoodat :bow

the following link is to the companies that, like most of us, would like to preserve the integrity of our seed supply.

http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/ViewPage.aspx?pageId=261

I know you posted a list of companies that sell :somad Monsanto :sick and its cronies. I was unable to find that post. Something needs to be done before all there is left is GM Rice and people left on this beautiful rock we call home.

:duc Stepping down off the soap box........

henry

P.S. I do see some that were on the list of companies that Hoodat had posted as Monsanto and its subsidiary companies as suppliers of GMO's. I find it hard to believe some of these companies would knowingly sell this $*(! , but my ignorance sometimes astound me.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
r4eboxer said:
I also know that there is no way I would be successful with onion seeds my first year. So I need a non GMO non Monsanto supplier for plants.
How do you know you will not be successful with onion seeds? I was on my first try. They went NUTS the first time I planted onion seeds. I have never bought "onion sets" or pre-started onions or any of that stuff. Just seeds, directly sown into the soil.!
I don't know but they sound very difficult. :he I have put an order together from fedco seeds and have chosen an onion seed BUT I need a backup in case they don't germinate. I want plants and need a place to order from that for real *100 %* is NOT connected to Monsanto at all.

I am so nervous about starting seeds. I really have to have a harvest to put up and can't afford to waste money on seed that does nothing (at my hand of course) I am nervous about the seed but I cannot in good conscience support any company connected with the M word. :barnie

This is the first year I have given thought to where my money is going as far as seed. I usually just go to my local greenhouse but I figure he gets M seeds.

Latest posts