Where to get roses?

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
Does anyone have a favorite online place to get roses? One that will ship to Hawaii? They'd have to either be 'bare root' or planted in some sort of sterile planting medium.

I'm trying to find a "Zephirine Drouhin" rose since it's scented, thornless and climbing. Is it too cold on the mainland to ship roses right now? Do things in the mail freeze to death? Maybe something off the West Coast and down towards the bottom of it wouldn't freeze to death? Maybe I should wait until things get less cold over there?

There are plans for a gazebo and a scented thornless climbing rose would be a lovely thing to grow over it. Other options are passion fruit or lima beans. Both of those will cover a structure pretty quickly, but I was hoping for roses.

So what's your favorite rose source?

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite online place to get roses? One that will ship to Hawaii? They'd have to either be 'bare root' or planted in some sort of sterile planting medium.

I'm trying to find a "Zephirine Drouhin" rose since it's scented, thornless and climbing. Is it too cold on the mainland to ship roses right now? Do things in the mail freeze to death? Maybe something off the West Coast and down towards the bottom of it wouldn't freeze to death? Maybe I should wait until things get less cold over there?

There are plans for a gazebo and a scented thornless climbing rose would be a lovely thing to grow over it. Other options are passion fruit or lima beans. Both of those will cover a structure pretty quickly, but I was hoping for roses.

Sorry, I have no idea whether any of these will ship to Hawaii.

My favorite rose supplier is High Country Roses. I especially like their Hardy Canadian Rose collection because of where I live in Wyoming. You would not be interested in that collection. They are located in Denver so it is like overnight shipping for me without having to pay for next day air. There are people who are disappointed in them because they are selling first year clones. The plants are on the small side compared to what you will find other places. They are quality plants. I have been happy with the quality of their plants and their service.

I have also bought from Heirloom Roses. I have been happy with their plants and their service.

One other that I have dealt with satisfactorily is Edmunds' Roses.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heirloomroses.com has it and doesn’t say that they don’t ship to Hawaii. I’m not having much luck. Nearly every place I’ve found doesn’t ship to Hawaii.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

You probably know this already, but I learned that roses can be guaranteed to be free of mosiac and black spot. This would be a good idea.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks, R2elk!

The High Country Roses has the Zepherine Drouhin rose and for $17.95 it's at a good price, too! However, they don't mention anything about shipping to Hawaii, just that they don't ship to Canada or overseas. Is Hawaii 'overseas'? I sent them an email asking.

Heirloom Roses also has the Zepherine Drouhin, although it's $49 on their site. They do ship to Hawaii however, it's at a flat rate of $50. So, I could get it for basically $100. Which seems a tad steep for just one rose.

Yup, ArtichokeLover, it sometimes seems like we're a foreign country over here, the way folks won't send things. Sometimes they even tell us they 'don't ship to foreign countries'. Sigh! With plants, I can almost understand since we have rules about live stuff since we are an island and don't want to bring in pests and invasive things. Which still happens anyway, but at least I hope there's a lot less of it. Hmm, maybe Amazon Prime? They tout free shipping, although there's still a lot of won't ship to Hawaii with them, too.

Aren't things that are shipped get inspected before they get sent, Dirtmechanic? I've not specifically looked, but we probably have mosiac and black spot around here already. There's something called 'ringspot' for papayas, but fortunately, I'm looking for a rose. Wish roses were as easy as papaya but hopefully there will be something pretty, thornless and fragrant to cover the gazebo. Which isn't even built yet, but I figure it's gonna take awhile for the rose to get here and get very big.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Edmund's Roses has the Zepherin Drouhin, however, they won't ship to Alaska, Hawaii or Idaho. What's with Idaho? Why can't they get roses? AND, they don't even mention Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa or the rest of the non-continental territories. It sucks to try to get things shipped to Hawaii, must be even worse for them.

How hard is it to grow a rose from a cutting? Maybe I could get them to just send sticks? I did ask on our local Craig's List and FB Marketplace if anyone had a cutting of the rose. Zero replies.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's with Idaho? Why can't they get roses? AND, they don't even mention Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa or the rest of the non-continental territories.

Each state sets its own regulations, those are often more restrictive than the Federal government. That happens a lot with shipping baby chicks too. Virginia has or at least had a requirement for a certain test before baby chicks could be shipped there. People were trying to get it changed, don't know if they succeeded or not. But many hatcheries would not ship to Virginia because they did not have a lab in state that could perform that test. I imagine Idaho has some regulation like that with roses.

My guess is that Hawaii has its own restriction but the territories don't. For plants it's not a logistics thing but a regulatory thing.

I ran into that trying to get some certain eggplant seeds shipped from Thailand. The company lied to me and said they had a license to ship to the US. They did not and the seeds were confiscated at customs.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii usually lets seeds in and things with no soil such as cuttings. If it's got roots, they have to be in a soil-less medium of some sort. I get trees mailed with some sort of odd stuff around their roots and they survive the experience. They aren't happy, but they survive. Maybe the rose places don't have the soil-less medium but plant all their roses in soil so they can't ship to Hawaii? I've still not heard back from the High Country folks, but maybe they don't check their emails much in the dead of winter?