Where's my Thai basil?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can usually depend on volunteers for my basil but this is about when they should be popping up and I don't see any Thai basil; or Italian either now that I think of it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only in San Diego . . :rolleyes:

I have some nice fresh Siam Queen seed in the soil mix just as of today, Hoodat!

That has been the very best variety that I can come up with . . . short of going to San Diego to see what volunteers :p.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thai basil is so close to Mexican basil that I use them interchangeably. They may even be the same thing. I like that cinnamon/licorice taste a few fresh sprigs give to salads.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you sure they went completely to seed Hoodat?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, i thought about you today when i was at UNH's open greenhouse! :lol: i saw all the wonderful herbs they had for sale and saw that they had some Thai and Italian basil for sale.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it's still early here for the thai basil. I think mine will still be coming.
I did pick some Genovese yesterday to have w/some fresh mozzarella and some tasteless tomatoes. drizzled w/some nice olive oil & cranked the black pepper onto it. it was good. it would have been even better if the tomatoes had been decent.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Are you sure they went completely to seed Hoodat?
I know they dropped a lot of seeds. They were huge and starting to die back when I pulled them for my rabbits last Fall. I guess I'm just impatient. I catch Spring fever this time of year when the Winter crops come out and the Summer crops are just going in.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know my thai basil was very slow to sprout last year, in fact i reseeded over, and then began getting growth. Seems they sprout best extra warm.

Latest posts