Where's the buds?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Early this spring we planted two new rose bushes, one a deep yellow and the other almost organge in color. My wife was very excited because they were forming a lot of flower buds.

The buds were about to open, however, this moring she found that EVERY BUD on EVERY plant had been removed, just like they had been cut with a pruning tool. We suspect deer, but I can not find any indication of the mulch being disturbed, but I don't think anything else could make a cut like that.

I just sprayed the plants with this foul smelling stuff and hopefully we will get new buds soon. I am really beginning to hate deer.

Jack

buds.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what they did to my day lillys for several summers!!! They'd wait till the bud was huge - ready to pop open the next morning.. then .. gone. I didn't see a single bloom for at least 2 summers.
:mad:

I moved several up into the yard so that I could enjoy them for a change.
The ones still along the drive actually bloomed this year. For some reason they haven't bothered them. :confused:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what they did to my day lillys for several summers!!! They'd wait till the bud was huge - ready to pop open the next morning.. then .. gone. I didn't see a single bloom for at least 2 summers.
:mad:

I moved several up into the yard so that I could enjoy them for a change.
The ones still along the drive actually bloomed this year. For some reason they haven't bothered them. :confused:

they've eaten most of ours right to the ground if given a chance... we're talking about moving some inside the fenced gardens but that is just not a very good place for them. i don't know if it will happen, unlikely this season.

we used to have a nice collection of various colors but those have been eaten by various creatures over the years and don't really like the soil back there so they've not ever done great.

in my new lily garden where i installed extra drainage in the clay and have also raised up the area and kept it mulched with the wood chips the lillies that are in that garden are doing well. it's also fenced so the deer can do nothing except smell them stanky things (the lillies are so strongly scented that i have to check the wind direction before working in those gardens when those plants are in bloom). :) to me they smell like some viscious old lady's perfume, where they've forgotten how much they've put on so they put it on again.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love any flower with a strong fragrance. All summer I try to keep a vase of fragrant flowers in my office, much better then smell of wet dog

if i didn't react so badly to them i wouldn't mind as much. i love lilacs and lavender but both of them will give me bronchial spasms. lavender is a very popular scent.

i agree that almost anything smells better than wet dog.

Latest posts