Whiiiirrrr and rose bush gone !

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
NYboy .... You know the rose hips that I sent you from the wild rose that grew on the ditch bank along a State Highway just behind our house, is now on the ground in a million pieces. The Washington Highway work crew came and unloaded a Bobcat with a whirlybird blade ( like an edger with a hood on it ) and in less than a few minutes made mincemeat out of a few 10- 15 foot tall cottonwood trees as well as the wild rose bush. About a month ago the State Highway crew cut down a large Cottonwood tree that started leaning over our next door neighbors house and was in danger of falling onto their house. So they cut it down and poured stump killer onto the stump. They left and left the tree lay in the drainage ditch where it fell, creating another water flow barrier. A few days later about a 40 foot tall 2 trunked Cottonwood tree just 5 feet away started to have it's leaves to wilt and die. About a week ago the neighbor called the Highway Department and told them about the dying tree, so yesterday a guy came to look at the tree . I talked to him and we chatted for about a half hour about what is happening with the Cottonwood trees as well as the blackberry tangles down stream from this tree which were acting a dam to severely ristrict storm drainage. This causes the backed up water to rise up and over the ditch bank and onto our land. He said that he will send out a crew to see just how they could remedy the situation. Stay tuned for what will happen after lunch and thereafter. :caf

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In an hour after lunch, the crew chained sawed about 20 Cottonwoods up to 6" in diameter, then using the Bobcat, then that machine stripped off all of the downed trees' branches and made wood chips of the branches and trunks up to 5-6" diameter leaving a few logs. The highway dept. will leave the wood chips where they lay because the land fill people charge $6 per cubic yard and that load adds up mighty quick , and since they do not have the budget to pay those environmental landfill disposal fees, the chips will stay where they lay. Baymule are you listening ? The chain saw guy is now starting his saw to start cutting down more of the Cottonwoods. ........

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The chain saw guy cut the downed 30+foot tall and over 10 inch diameter trunck Cottonwood into about 10 foot sections, and the buy with the Bobcat, pulled the logs onto the edge of the ditch and woodchiped the branches off. Quarter to 3 and they headed for the truck with a flat bed. On his way with the Bobcat, and as he drove past the blackberry 50' X 100" X 6 Ft tall patch in the bottom of the drainage ditch, he made a few passes and in less than 15 minutes, the patch became a million piece mulch. We shall see if they come back tomorrow or whenever. Off they go home .

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The electric company once cut down a large tree, it fell across the stream behind my house. I was worried about getting flooded in heavy rain. I called a few times and was given the run around. Being nice didn't work so I decided time to get dirty. I told my grandmother I needed to get tree move, if she could keep calling till someone moved tree. After a few days of dealing with Nana they not only move tree out of water but hauled it away.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
they've come along several times and used one of those platform mowers on an arm to completely obliterate some plantings we had along the front ditch along the road. some plants i really liked so it PO'd me... we had a very nice clump of yellow wild irises and a liatris. gone now...

of course they can't do that out back along the big drainage ditch where something like that would have actually been a help...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good grief.
Slash and burn, really??? Good grief....
Actually, that is a good thing .... many of the 20-50" cottonwood trees are LEANING WAY OVER ( like @ 45* ) the back fence and could fall onto a mile of houses when the drainage ditch gets full of rain water and softens the soil due to the invasive blackberry follage tangles and downed tree trunks. There are many cottonwood trees and blackberry tangles that are in the bottom and sides of the ditch that create dams that causes the drain water to spill over the ditch' bank and floods backyards then water goes underneath the houses causing mold growth which is a SEVERE .HEALTH issue to people and pets.This becomes a VERY EXPENSIVE mold remediation for one and all . :th :barnie

Latest posts