White foam on plants

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday there appeared some white foam on several lavender plant stems. This morning, more white foam appeared on several other lavenders , then on several corral bell flower stalks and on some strawberry plant stems. I have never seen this happen before. So what it this stuff and /or pest ? How do you get rid of it or pest ? :idunno

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with it being spittlebugs.

It's not true that you can just wash them off though. Those puppies stick through a blast from the hose. They appear to be gone because you've just washed the foam away, but look closely and they are still there. I seek them out and pinch them.

I also don't agree that they do no harm. Some of my plants that have been heavily spittlebug-ized have deformed foliage. Can't prove it's them, but I'm blaming them anyway.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to get a couple of spittlebugs on my roses but haven't had them lately. I don't remember them causing any damage.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A couple of spittlebugs will probably not even be noticeable, but we are the spittlebug capital, and my house is the convention center.

Some years they are all over the trees and you can get dripped on when you walk under them. :sick

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
There are many ways to rid yourself of bugs and sometimes we don't think of putting on our gardening gloves---yes, Virginia, SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY WEAR THEIRS!!!!!!---and removing them by hand.
...just a thought...

Latest posts