Who knows Poo?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok This may sound like an odd questions but is there anyone that know where different animal poo's rate on the fertilizer list? Chicken,goat,horse,rabbit,hog,cow you get the idea. Not only things like nitro count but when you can use them or when they are to "hot"

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cow manure has less organic nitrogen in it than sheep, chicken, or horse manure, because cows have 4 stomachs that digest more of the organic matter down before it comes out as poop. Cow manure is called a "cool manure".

Horses only consume about 1/4 of all the grass clippings and hay that they eat. So therefore their poop is very "hot manure". It is richer in nitrogen, and also contains lots of undigested weed seeds. This however is not an issue for me, since I love to hot compost all my available horse manure/sawdust that I collect weekly from the local equine clinic.

Chicken manure is even hotter and more risky. Birds urinate together in their poop mixture. Too much nitrogen for average gardening plants! It has so much soluble ammonia in it, it can burn up plants if not composted first. Also chicken poop is highly alkaline containing lots of calcium carbonate (lime) in it because that is what they feed the chickens to make them lay more eggs.

I understand that fresh rabbit poop is about the safest and most perfect manure, that is almost equal on a C:N ratio to mature compost.

My favorite will always be horse poop. It's rich in NPK. It doesn't stink even when fresh. It's not drippy. It's always pre-mixed at the barns with browns like untreated sawdust and straw/hay bedding.
I found this on some other forum. I hope it answers most of your questions.

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Llama Manure is also very good

Llama Manure Benefits
Llama manure is lower in organic matter content than manures of most other barnyard livestock (like cows, horses and sheep)--but it still has plenty to improve soil texture and water-holding capacity. This lower organic content allows llama manure to be spread directly onto plants without fear of 'burning' them. It is the decomposition of organic matter which produces the heat that can damage plant roots.

Compared to the other barnyard animals, the nitrogen and potassium content of llama droppings is comparatively high--an indication of good fertilizer value. (Nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium are the major plant nutrients; they are the familiar N-P-K on fertilizer bags.) Phosphorus is relatively low--but it is low in most other livestock manure as well Calcium and magnesium content is about average. And salt content is not too high but it is high enough that one should not apply llama poop directly onto seedlings or improperly mixed into the soil. Overall, llama manure is a great organic fertilizer. Of course, organic fertilizers are usually lower in nutrient content that synthetic fertilizers-so more needs to be applied to get the same amount of nutrients. For example, llama manure would be about 1.5-0.2-1.1 versus the 20-10-5 of synthetic fertilizer. Apply about 13 times as much llama manure to get the same amount of nitrogen.

Animal Manure Comparison
Animal % N Nitrogen % P Phosphorus % K Potassium
Llama 1.7 0.69 0.66
Chicken 1.0 0.8 0.4
Horse 0.7 0.25 0.55
Sheep 0.95 0.35 1.0
Cow 0.6 0.15 0.45
Pig 0.5 0.35 0.4

How to use and store llama beans.
Llama beans can be used directly in your garden without danger of burning plants. If the beans aren't kept moist they will harden and form a white crust taking longer to break down. My favorite way to store them is to moisten them (damp not dripping, like you do compost) and keep them well covered. During the first couple of days check and remoisten if needed (it will depend on how dry they are when you start this process). In something over a month the beans will break down and look like moist rich peat moss, ready to amend your garden. This allows you to have yours ready to go instead of having to wait during spring or fall planting preparation.when increased demand causes supply to be lower.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
last night/this morning I prepped a bed using rabbit turds. Cant wait to see if its really so usable.

maidservant

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know that there is nothing better than a cantelope grown in a bed covered in rabbit poo!

Here are a few facts about bunny poo (and it's one of the reasons I have 12 adults with babies on the way!):
Rabbit manure has the following percentages of dry material.
2.20% Nitrogen
.87% Phosphorus
2.30% Potassium
.36% Sulfur
1.26% Calcium
.40% Magnesium

I know that you don't want too much nitrogen on tomatoes and peppers, otherwise you get really green bushy plants, but hardly any fruit. I would stay away from the bunny poo, or any other type of poo with a large amount of nitrogen if you're growing tomatoes or peppers!

Hope this helps,
Emily

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maid - what do you do to curb rabbit production? I don't mind having about 4-6 rabbit running around in the chicken run, but we're up to 11-12 now (not quite sure of the number because some from the new batch are still in hiding :) ) My kids wouldn't let me eat them :)

Please share your trick. But I don't want to send all 6 to the vet for neutering. Can't afford it!

Empera

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cookiesdaddy said:
Maid - what do you do to curb rabbit production? I don't mind having about 4-6 rabbit running around in the chicken run, but we're up to 11-12 now (not quite sure of the number because some from the new batch are still in hiding :) ) My kids wouldn't let me eat them :)

Please share your trick.
Cookie, just a small suggestion. Right now I have a doe with a litter of 9 (wow!) and two of her does from a litter she had before. Along with a buck that runs around in the coop.

On to the suggestion, I only put the buck out in the coop (or bucks in your case, i think its safe as long as they have space and are acquainted with each other) by himself so he doesn't harass or impregnate my immature does. While he is out running around in the coop, I keep the does in a cage together and collect their manure that way. I switch every few days to make it fair.

It's best to try to avoid unwanted pregnancies as it can get way out of hand in such a short amount of time. If you do want a litter, try to plan it and keep track of who and when. Just be responsible about it. :D

But with my adult doe having 9 kits, it made my jaw drop! Anyways, I just suggest seperating the does from bucks. And if possible, try to neuter every so often so your vet bill doesn't haunt you in your dreams. ;)

BTW, does anyone have info for Goat droppings? I have three babies and I'm curious. :)

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OK, is duck poo like chicken poo?? Anyone know how duck poo does on the garden?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I scopped my duck poop like it was dog poop and added it to my corn. The corn is going great.

Latest posts