Whos interested in native plants?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i like to propagate a lot of native plants for my area. for one, they are easier to grow since they belong here, lol. also i like a good natural looking landscape. of course i have plenty of tropicals and exotics too.

last year i started a bunch of cypress trees from seeds (both Bald Cypress and Pond Cypress). they are about 2 feet tall and growing in styrafoam cups (who says they arent recycleable?)

i also have some small Live Oaks i'm growing.

i have a massive magnolia tree that the chickens live in and magnolias are consequently coming up all over now. lol

saw palmetto is a native here i like.

even yucca, a weed in our pasture, makes a striking specimen plant.

i really like all the different fall colors native plants have to offer! cypress are orange, liveoaks and magnolia stay green, tulip poplars are yellow, turkey oaks are brilliant red, etc etc.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been a member of the New England Wildflower Society for decades - I love native plants. We don't have the splashy tropicals here, the spring ephemerals are what we look forward to, they're lovely and I've got a few of them out in my shade garden. Trillium, hepatica, trout lilies, bloodroot, those and others are probably my absolute favorite flowers. I used to have a quite shady yard, so I had more, now they're relegated to one part of my side yard because of a septic install.

This is my all-time favorite, Jeffersonia dubia, dark form. It's a relative of a native, Jeffersonia diphylla. It blooms for a too-short time in May:

dubia.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like natives and try to plant them, although I have to say there isn't all that much desirable-looking that's 'native' to a northern clayey windy flat open area that is a swamp in winter and spring and bakes like a brick in summer and fall :p

I am insanely jealous of your cypress and live oaks and such, beefy :)

Pat

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think the only thing native to where I'm at is tumbleweeds... or weeds in general. :rolleyes: I'm pretty good at growing those, though.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau, what a gorgeous photo ! ! !

The only native things growing on my property are bearberry, beach plum, pitch pine, scrub oak, bayberry and asclepsis. Pure sand.

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love Natives! Especially the viburnams & grasses. Of course, prairie plants too...

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have to say that living in the desert not many native plants interest me. I like them when we walk through the desert but wouldn't really want most of them growing in my yard.

Birdgardengal

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I try to keep as many native plants as possible. I think its important for the animals. I have added trees, flowers, and shrubs. But the native plants are so important. We have cotton tail bunnys that are so cute running around. And they need sage bushes. So the sage has to stay. Its really funny putting nice flower beds and gardens around these funny looking sage bushes. We have alot of animals and birds on our property and I love watching them. If the animals and birds eat what I have planted then I will just have to plant more. So much land is being cleared we have to watch out for them!

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We finally got a good nursery here. A master 3 gardener was tired of having to go to the city nurseries, so she opened one up! She mostly has native plants but also other plants that will grow here.
We have lots of sage for the cotton-tails, jacks, quail, and other little creatures to hide/nest/burrow around.

We tried to bring coastal oak acorns from DMIL's house that DH and his older brother planted as kids, but they won't grow up here:th(no duh smilie) So we have to get some of the local oak acorns.

Monica

Latest posts