Why is selling stuff so difficult?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have many things that need to sell, it's been months, but no real takers. =/

It's all live animals and equipment related to them.

How do you guys sell things quickly?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lot of things are seasonal. In winter, few want to do anything outside unless it is a steal.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I could tell you, but, as far as I can tell, basically nothing works. Even things I had to fight tooth an nail to get when I bought them due to counter bidding suddenly become unsalable the moment I try to sell them. I sometimes think there is some sort of sign out there that says "the moment (insert my name here) touches an item, it instantly loses all value and desirability, no matter how much it was worth before.

Ironically, the best way I know of to sell anything is not to really NEED to EVER sell it. That gives you the luxury of waiting around until someone comes along who actually wants it. Something it sounds like you do not have the option of.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I talk a lot. I never meet a stranger.

I advertise on Craigslist.

There is a marketplace on Facebook. Are there any sale groups in your area? Put up signs at feed stores

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

It comes down to finding the right crowd of folks who want what you have and gauging the market so as to have the appropriate pricing. If you have a niche item, such as babydoll sheep you need to find the people who would most appreciate or want such a breed and then describe all the wonderful things about owning them~mostly you are looking for a city bred hobby farmer type person who wants to dabble in sheep that don't seem too intimidating...the name babydoll leaves a wonderful picture in their minds.

I'd try forums or sites where those people like to talk about their "farming" or "homesteading" efforts, then don't lowball prices. They love to brag about how much money they spent on their animals, the more pricey to them equates greater value...I've got siblings like this and know firsthand how their minds work. :rolleyes: I also know city folk just like that who own babydoll sheep. When I asked why that type, they said they thought they'd be easy to handle and they look cute on the pasture of their newly bought old farm out in the country.

Just got to find that kind of buyer...farm markets where they shop, publications they would read~GRIT and MEN seems to be popular among that set, and breeding sites for that breed...they love the idea of having purebred, registered ANYTHING that is not very common in their area, such as Highland cattle, heritage breed pigs, alpacas, etc.

Around here and selling more common items, we have a publication that comes out each week that's free to advertise in that's the hot ticket for selling and buying anything in our area. Pricing it appropriately and in season always brings a sale. Barring that FB market place is the new hot place to sell stuff cheaply because you can show a pic of it. CL is less used here and is fading fast.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

off season... not enough advertising in the right places. wrong prices.

there is a for sale section here on TEG... :) what chu got?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, are you ever rude, bobm!
I'm not even talking about sheep!
Have fun on the blocked list.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Laying hens, aquatic things.

Latest posts