1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Rugosa Rose problems and questions - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Why is this plant dieing?

Discussion in 'Trees & Shrubs' started by Carol Dee, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Jun 23, 2016
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

We have had this Oriental honeysuckle (I forget the proper name) for a good many years. Do they eventually die after so long? The back side hung over the fence and the tavern owner sheered it off to make room for the volleyball court netting. (I do not think that did it.) It greened up very slowly and only about 1/2 the plant this spring. After it started to bloom it also continued to die back. Any ideas??
    Last year: 001.JPG 005.JPG
    NOW :( 025.JPG 024.JPG

2. Jun 23, 2016
    Larisa

Larisa Deeply Rooted

monilial burn? The disease is a fungus Monilia. Now I have taken cuttings from Honeysuckle for a new rooting. Also spray now and in the spring before the leaves. Funds from moniliosis.

valley ranch likes this.
  3. Jun 23, 2016
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

I was talking to the guy cleaning up the neighbor's yard about the honeysuckle bush.

It must have been there absolutely forever but he said it had died. It certainly looked dead from the north side. Yesterday, I happened to be on the south side and it was very much alive.

Yours doesn't look like it is suffering from age. Is it possible your tavern neighbor decided to spray it with herbicide?

Steve

valley ranch likes this.
  4. Jun 23, 2016
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I was thinking herbicide, too. If it survives, and that was was it was, please tell him that you will cut it back from His yard so there are no repeats.

valley ranch likes this.
  5. Jun 23, 2016
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

Yikes, it does look like herbicide damage. In any case I would cut it right back and hope for the best as it is a beauty and if it was mine I'd want to save it. I cut a very old honeysuckle right back to a stump last year, kept my fingers crossed and it did come back this spring with some vigorous new growth. If your neighbor has used a herbicide he's libel to do it again and not own up to it. Another option is to cut it back, take a spade and root prune now and move to a safer location in the fall.
    Annette

ducks4you and valley ranch like this.
  6. Jun 23, 2016
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    It could be fungal, if it was a herbicide attack, you have a rotten person next door.

7. Jun 24, 2016
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    Have a look at this, Larisa may be right!
    Honeysuckle Leaf Blight, http://nac.unl.edu/documents/diseasetrees/chap11.pdf

Leaf Blight

Leaf blight (Insolibasidium deformans), a fungal infection, affects most honeysuckle species. Symptoms begin with crinkling and curling of new leaves in the spring. The leaf tissue turns yellow and brown, and you may see brown lesions surrounded by yellow halos. A thin white layer of basidia, or spore-producing structures, also appears on the lower leaf surface. Leaf blight of honeysuckle plants most often occurs in wet weather, but if your plant is healthy, it is not usually a serious problem. Prune and destroy infected branches and remove all fallen plant material from the soil. Spring applications of fungicides containing mancozeb or copper can also provide effective control of leaf blight in cases of severe infection

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/honeysuckle-yellowing-leaves-49720.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=AQVJAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA183&lpg=PA183&dq=monilial+blight+of+honeysuckle&source=bl&ots=OpZJYcyaAb&sig=tCHGQqprU5sO8SzrFLn2-7Vup6o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJi_eKn7_NAhVHeCYKHcGwDNUQ6AEIPTAI#v=onepage&q=monilial blight of honeysuckle&f=false
    could be more than one problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at it closely, it might be worth treating the bush and/or moving it.

There are articles on Monilial but some are not very readable.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016