why so fruity?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got my shipment from FedCo seeds & had a few different carrot seed packets in the mix. The last couple times I've opened the cannister of carrot seeds I've noticed the same sweet smell. Same thing in the Johnny's seed order from last week. Makes this really pleasant to open the order envelopes when they arrive.

I would think they'd smell more like.....well...carrots! :hu

Anyone else notice this?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deb, if you had said that it smelled "spicy" - that would have made sense with the organic fungicide seed treatments. Some outfits are using things like clove oil but I wonder if orange seed oil or something like it could have been used.

The hot water treatment that is used might have given the carrot seed a "cooked carrot" fragrance.

I'm not sure if any of these would have a "fruity" smell but the seed outfits have to be trying hard to deal with protecting their seed without using conventional chemical treatments. After all, that seed is where their money is and gardeners are often wanting certified organic seed.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't picking up on the spicy scent as much as the fruity side. Took a second & third sniff & now I'm noticing the spice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I got this?!

Actually, I have been a little "uncertain" about Fedco and their seeds. The proof is in the pudding, tho'. At least with their brassica seeds - I've had several packets and been using seed out of them for years!

I order from Fedco almost every season and I'm encouraged to continue because treating their seeds might be becoming a little more common. Ya see, if they had a colorful, glossy catalog ... no! I remember a seed outfit that went into bankruptcy several years ago. I think they have "emerged" from that now but they had the glossy catalog and super fancy seed packets. I decided I didn't want to order from them after awhile because their seed had a poor germination rate for me. Not what I expected ...

Steve
Suspicion, torments my heart
Suspicion, keeps us apart
Suspicion, why torture me?

Latest posts