Wife Broke Her Ankle

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So my wife broke her ankle (well, fractured in two spots (outside and inside)) four days ago. She was taking part in roller derby tryouts and during a pack movement someone fell on her ankle, preventing her from falling correctly and it just happened. The good news is they've been so impressed with her over the past few months that she's being allowed into Boot Camp despite the fracture. However, she's out of commission for the next 3 months. I'm extremely proud of her for all the hard work and making it through but feel bad that she won't get to take part in it at the same level that she want a to.

She literally just went into surgery to have a plate put in to help the healing.

I'm more than happy to wait on her and take care of whatever she needs, but the bigger challenge in general will be our four young kids.

Anyone else have some similar experiences that they can lend any advice to me from? I'm all ears :)

Side note: we ripped down an old rotten fence and I'm trying to build a new cedar one in the next week so I can get cucumbers in the ground :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Good luck on her healing. And good luck on the fence and cukes.

A lot will depend on her attitude. Some people want to be babied, waited on hand and foot. When my wife broke her arm it was dangerous to assume she couldn't or didn't want to do anything. Pay attention to her signals and good luck with that too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, not with roller derbies or broken ankles ...

I can say with spouse health care that it may be important for you to pay attention to the instructions from the professionals. It's difficult for people to focus on what is being said when they are ill and in pain. You can't really assume responsibility for another adult but remembering what is what while the other person convalesces may be important.

Kids can be a monumental distraction. I hope you have some help! They do need to know that they aren't the only ones with limitations and needs. Recognizing their own limits and shouldering some responsibility for their needs is a part of growing up and being human.

I have been working on a picket fence but also built a privacy fence in my backyard about 3 years ago. I got the idea from an 8' board fence between a medical building and an apartment building. The fence panels were likely to have been built separately and sandwiched between double 4 by 4 posts. I thought that it would be an easier way to build a fence and liked the looks. I didn't build an 8' fence but thought that the 6 footer could go between 2 by 4 posts. Fairly simple and it's different.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sprig, how long do they think your wife will be incapacitated from the surgery?
It may be difficult to be able to bend and flex around her needs. She may not be clear in her own mind as to what she wants. I know when I was in that d@%n surgical boot, I wanted to be coddled but not coddled at the same time. It was just frustrating, apart from the pain (which wasn't too bad).
Good luck. :hugs If she is normally active and healthy, she will probably heal very fast.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember watching roller derby on TV as a kid. Back then, you had the "good" team (both men & women) and the "bad" team. So how is it now?

Good luck being nurse.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roller Derby! Awesome! Broken ankle! not so awesome......
I hope her recovery is quick and she can get back into the swing of things. Four kids? Oh boy, are you ever in for "walking a mile in her shoes"!! This is when you really appreciate your wife and what she does every day to keep everyone in the family going. Be sure and tell her that, it will make her feel appreciated.

Latest posts