Wild Persimmons

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've gotten into collecting wild "common persimmons" as of last year. There are a few huge, older trees out in the woods, and many other younger trees that are not putting on fruit yet. I have them timed to be putting on rip fruit right as the garden dies off. Our wildlife absolutely love them, especially the deer, and I've started some of last year's seeds from them to re-plant in areas where we have used trees for our cabin.

Our Forestry info on them:
http://www.forestry.alabama.gov/PDFs/100/common_persimmon.pdf

We would like to put the trees and their sweet-smelling fruit to better use! I would LOVE a way to make a candle with their scent. Does anyone happen to have recipes or info they'd like to share from personal experience on ways I can continue to use these persimmons we have growing here?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have wild persimmons on our place too. I pick them sometimes and eat them. Mostly, I shake the trees for the sheep and dogs, they love them. One year, persimmons cost us almost $800! Our dog Parker, hovered up a hickory nut in his excitement to beat the sheep and other dogs to the persimmons. It lodged in his intestine and the vet had to operate.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wish i knew what they tasted like. never tried them that i know of. would like to try them before planting any.

it's nice to have something native and easy to grow for a change. some year maybe.

good luck. :) sorry i can't be much of a help...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made persimmon jam (it was more like a spread) but was not that impressed. I only did it once. I made persimmon bread, sort of like zucchini bread. It was kind of heavy but the flavor was OK. I don't have a clue how you 'd make a candle with them. I've struggled with coming up with ways to use them other than fresh eating.

These are also the native ones, not the pretty domesticated ones you can buy in the store. I don't harvest them until most people would think they are ruined. They have to be dried up, shriveled up, and looking really waxy with dark spots before they mellow enough for me. Once they get ready I pluck one or two as I pass the tree and suck the goodness out of them. One or two is enough at a time.

HSW, persimmons are sexist. A tree is either male or female. Only female trees bear fruit but you need a male to pollinate. If you sprout from seeds don't expect all to bear fruit. I don't know how you tell the difference before they start to bear but there may be a way. I have noticed that in the same location the female trees leaf out earlier than the male.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL I did that with Paw Paw. I planted 4 trees never tasting he fruit. @journey11 sent me some paw paw fruit from wild trees near her. Love at 1st taste unfortunately all my trees died. They are not easy to get established.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Persimmons are one of my favorite fruits ..

. but, I'm getting the ones from the produce aisle of the soopermarket. A Japanese species, if I remember right.

I've never eaten a wild persimmon.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, at age 60 I discovered that I love Fuju persimmons. So I planted a tree a couple years ago. I've read and heard conflicting things. Most say it takes 5 years for the tree to bear fruit. But my neighbor had a few fruits on the third year. A staff member of the nursery where I bought it from said his also bore a few fruit on the third year and kept increasing every year. So I'm hoping I'll get at least a couple next year. Though I check for blossoms every day!

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if a grafted tree might bear fruit earlier than one from seed as as the rootstock may already be a year or two old?

Anyway, good luck Mary. I have never eaten a store-bought Japanese persimmon so I have no idea how those compare with the wild ones.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if a grafted tree might bear fruit earlier than one from seed as as the rootstock may already be a year or two old?

Anyway, good luck Mary. I have never eaten a store-bought Japanese persimmon so I have no idea how those compare with the wild ones.
Can you find persimmons at the farmer's markets out there? If so, you need to try Fuyu. Those are the ones that you eat while firm. They have be pretty orange to be ripe and not astringent. The first time I tried one was in a salad and boy was it good. I've been addicted to them ever since. During season I probably eat about 2 a day. I try to limit it because fruit is a carb and has lots of sugar. I trade a dozen eggs to a friend for a bag that has about 15 of them. Every week we trade. Then when the season is over, we usually have to go to Fresno to visit family and their season is just beginning over there. Usually I can find a box for $20 on CL. That box has a lot and I am soooo happy!

Mary

Latest posts