Will A Rodent Eat Deodorant Soap ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend when I went up to country house, Irish Spring soap bar had what looked like chew marks, there was no sign of droppings. I could see if it was goats milk soap, Irish spring is very strong smelling deodorant soap. It has been suggested to hang in trees to keep deer away. I threw soap out, hope I don't have a rat living in my house.:barnieMy cleaning lady also saw soap and thought it chewed by rodent.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago whenever I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I would see that the seat was wet. I knew it wasn't my husband lol. Sometimes I would hear a small splash when I would turn on the light. I had a basket of soaps on top of the bathroom tank lid unwrapped to give a fresh smell to the bathroom and for looks. The bars would have long deep scratches. I knew it was rats and they were going back to the sewer when ever I entered the bathroom. Good thing I never got bitten in the butt! hahahaha

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep a bar of Irish Spring down at a shed near the frost free spigot in case I need to wash my hands as after being outside, which I often do. I hung a yogurt cup to keep it in. At first that cup was at ground level but something (possum, raccoon, rat?) would take the soap out and claw or chew it. So I hung it up higher, more at shoulder height. I haven't had that problem since.

I have tried using Irish Spring to keep deer away. It did not work.

I can certainly believe a rodent would chew on a bar of Irish Spring. But instead of throwing it away I just washed it off. You don't even have to go get soap to wash it in.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We paid a Terminix guy to crawl under the house and seal up all the entrance holes. We were fighting rats and mice, the plumbing and AC lines make perfect holes in the floor for rats and mice to enter. Not any more!

Latest posts