Will frozen pecans still sprout?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So last fall I collected some pecans from a pecan tree on my grandparents property. Some I planted in pots outside but those didn’t make do to something digging in my pots. But I put the rest in the freezer. Can I pull out the ones in the freezer and sprout them? It’s a pretty big deal to me since the property is being sold later this year so I won’t be able to go collect more. And the tree I collected them from has a lot of childhood memories associated with it for me and my cousins.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pecans (or at least some of them) are frost tolerant, so depending upon the freezer temperature, some of the nuts may still be viable. A refrigerator ice box is usually warmer than a stand-alone freezer; if the nuts were in one of those, it may improve the odds. Regardless, nothing lost by trying.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pecans (or at least some of them) are frost tolerant, so depending upon the freezer temperature, some of the nuts may still be viable. A refrigerator ice box is usually warmer than a stand-alone freezer; if the nuts were in one of those, it may improve the odds. Regardless, nothing lost by trying.
I’m hoping this is the case. The traditional method of sprouting them around here is just to leave them outside inground or in pots all winter so a single dip below freezing shouldn’t kill them but I know the freezer is a bit different. Unfortunately they’ve been in the outside deep freeze which is not good for my odds. I may just try the whole bag. Maybe I’ll get a few.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you have some time you can try to air layer some of the branches and see if you can clone the trees that ways. :)

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you have some time you can try to air layer some of the branches and see if you can clone the trees that ways. :)

I have time but no bucket truck lol. This tree is huge and doesn’t have any low hanging branches. I’ll get out some of the today nuts and try to sprout them. If that doesn’t work I’ll just have to hope the sale doesn’t go through before fall.

Latest posts