Will I ever have a decent lawn since I got chickens?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd guess that with chickens around any lawn would have to be a small area they don't get to

Reaction score
We have some chicken at home too. Those are my fathers past time. What he does is he locks some in a fence, and let others go around in a certain place where. But they are not allowed to go around the entire yard since we have some plants. And my mother will get angry if those will be destroyed by the chickens. We still have a pretty good yard. We have not so wide patio place where we can stay with family. We even have a patio heater in it which my mother had bought some years ago from buytikitorches.com and we use it at night bonding. Then we have a simple garden which was landscaped by me and my other sibling. It is very possible, just learn how to divide your place.

Reaction score
We have some chicken at home too. Those are my fathers past time. What he does is he locks some in a fence, and let others go around in a certain place where. But they are not allowed to go around the entire yard since we have some plants. And my mother will get angry if those will be destroyed by the chickens. We still have a pretty good yard. We have not so wide patio place where we can stay with family. We even have a patio heater in it which my mother had bought some years ago from buytikitorches.com and we use it at night bonding. Then we have a simple garden which was landscaped by me and my other sibling. It is very possible, just learn how to divide your place.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Well manicured yards are over-rated anyway. :D
Totally, what are the rabbits supposed to eat if you mow all their food down?
With taller mixed grasses, more bugs are hiding which equals more free food for the birds and less money out of pocket.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
lesa said:
My simple answer is "no". Sorry! !
Exactly! We have an acre and I have to keep my chickens penned. However, I will let them out for short periods at the end of the day for a couple of hours now and then. They enjoy the freedom, and my lawn is still green. :)
What lesa and vfern said. The simple answer is no. Chickens love yards but yards do not love chickens.

I let my flock free range. I had to fence in the veggies first. DH and I keep up steady vigilance to keep the birds out of the front yard and as far back into the woods, orchard, and field as possible. We have enough land that the chicken damage is evident mostly right around the coop itself. Otherwise, there is little damage to the weed-covered grassy areas we charmingly call lawn.

I just wish the little critters were better learners so we could trust them to stay out back. Stepping on poo in the front yard is NOT something DH enjoys.

Love, Smart Red

Latest posts